Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sunday Flight around Munich ...

Nice footage! Thanks for sharing.

I’m still fighting a cold and had no chance to enjoy what little snow we had hereabouts.

Aviathor wrote:

In Europe they normally keep all light airplanes well clear of such airports.

This statement doesn’t hold true on a general basis. The only airport in Germany, to my knowledge, where this is a bit difficult to arrange is EDDF. All others are very welcoming and, like Flyer59 mentions, even proactively offer low approaches etc. even when just crossing.

Flyer59 wrote:

Munich Airport, The Berlin Airports, Hamburg, they will all let you do this if they have the impression you know what you are doing

Don’t forget to mention Dusseldorf and Cologne, who are equally accomodating.

Vieke wrote:

Mostly I avoid these big airports, but next time I will ask also to go overhead.

@Vieke, do come visit EDDL or EDDK, it’s not too far and good fun! :-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

@Patrick
I just didn’t mention D’dorf and Cologne because i have never been there!

@Patrick
Nice suggestions. I am not at all afraid of big airports (I landed this summer in Athens and Istanbul) – and I do like landing that kind of airports (but they are often quite expensive for just landing for fun!).

I meant more: I avoid only the really big big airports enroute. I do cross Brussels/BUB overhead sometimes, but then I am at FL50 or higher.
I asked to cross Brussels CTR a few times low level, but always got a “stay clear because of traffic” – that’s why I avoid big airports/CTR enroute and plan my route round the CTR (like London CTR, Paris CTR, Schiphol CTR instead of a nice direct line trough, like I do with all the others) – because I don’t expect to get a crossing clearance for that kind of airports. (Now I know Schiphol is no problem, next time I just go overhead instead of around – but I don’t think Paris or London will appreciate my small VFR-traffic busting their nice shedule ;-) )

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Flyer59 wrote:

I just didn’t mention D’dorf and Cologne because i have never been there!

That’s a shame! They are worth a visit. Düsseldorf first and then Cologne. Others might disagree.

No, they don’t pay me to say that.

@Vieke: Got it. Absolutely agree. In Germany, it only really applies to EDDF, which you need to either circumvent or fly over at, say FL130 or higher.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message