Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swedish Piper Malibu Meridian crash N164ST

Aeroplus, the Meridian already has the G1000 and strong wings. There is a rumour of a new aircraft with more range and a bit more speed.

As to the the engine, I am afraid the stats show the PT6 is far more reliable. Both are very reliable but there is no doubt a turbine is better (in that sense).

EGTK Oxford

In January 2015 Piper Aircraft introduced the Meridian M500 with improved avionics.

http://www.piper.com/piper-aircraft-launches-m500-product-latest-garmin-avionics/

Especially the Blue “Panic” Button is a nice safety feature that, when triggered, will return the aircraft to a wings level attitude with zero vertical speed. Upon activation, Level Mode will automatically engage the flight director and autopilot functions to return the aircraft to straight and level flight.

Yes but that is just a light refresh. There is talk of a bigger upgrade in the works.

EGTK Oxford

I remember talking to a Meridian owner that has his aircraft registered under the 2000 kg. Somewhere else I read that this can only be done with the Jetprop DLX. Anyone knows? JasonC: how do you cope with the limited W&B in relation to e.g. insurance coverage? I am sure the aircraft is solid and it is the kind of aircraft I would possibly consider.

EDLE, Netherlands

This may be of interest, Aeroplus

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know of Meridian that was able register below 2t as well. I don’t know how easy it is to do or what is involved. It would severely limit your ability to use it within the W&B. Then, as with the Jetprop, you have to decide how you load it. The insurance issue has been done to death and I don’t intend to repeat it here. I have never heard of an insurance problem due to loading in either airframe, but I prefer to fly within the POH limits on loading.

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 Feb 13:05
EGTK Oxford

I know a JetProp DLX owner who regularly needs more takeoff roll than an A330… it seems to work, just hope he will never get near a thunderstorm!

Few days ago I got link to this ad http://www.aircraftpartner.de/en/Aircraft%20Sales/view:detail/id:45/ for EASA reg Meridian with following descripton: “No need to pay airway fees with an MTOW of 1999kg/4397Ibs (can be increased to 2310kg/5090Ibs).”

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The Jetprop will fly with about 2500kg on a trans oceanic flight (1100 liters Jet fuel plus pilot plus survival equipment) . If it is wise to load the struture in such a way is another story.

But what we really need to worry about is the bad accident statistics of the PA46 we had lately. Many pilots spend much much money for a probably more reliable PT6 engine but in the end there seems to be no real safety advantage. That is very sobering.
Probably buying a piston PA46, hiring a full time pro co pilot and paying for all his travel expenses would be cheaper than buying a PT6 plane and I guess the final safety record would be much better. Somehow we have to identify the real causes of those accidents and concentrate on pragmatic measures to counteract them.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Just a word for Vasteras – lovely place, very welcoming, no landing fee if parked at the club. I’ve made that departure over the lake several times and wondered where I’d go – there is a strip downtown that might be an option, but they did well in the circumstances. Don’t know if it’s iced over, but the water would be impossibly cold.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message