Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swedish Piper Malibu Meridian crash N164ST

The accident investigation report has been published (in Swedish).

Very short summary:

The engine failure was caused by damage to the power turbine which had developed over a long period of time and which could not be detected by the normal maintenance and inspection procedures.

The impact was left wing first in a 30-45 degree left bank. The wing broke off and the aircraft rolled until the other wing also hit the ground and broke off. This happened before the fuselage hit the ground. The breaking off of the wings shed most of the energy and contributed strongly to the lucky outcome for the pilot and passengers.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is already a thread on the new Piper M600 / M350 models:
https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/3794-piper-launches-new-m600-and-m350

suggest we move the latest posts to there.

Probably best to start a new thread on this… it was a thread about a crash.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They have range but not range with cabin payload. Thats the important figure one needs.

KHTO, LHTL

The new Piper M600 turboprop has just come out:

http://www.piper.com/aircraft/april-13th/m600-welcome/

My understanding of an MEL if its on there and doesn’t work your not flying.

No that’s not the case. The MEL lists all the required systems and also the circumstances under which flight can take place if they are inoperative. For example, there may be landing lights on the MEL, and flights with them inop will be allowed by day.

Even small jets can be flown without autopilots, as Josh mentions, but with limitations, usually no single pilot ops etc.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I used to hear an aircraft over fly my house around 5 AM in all kinds of weather. It was a piston twin by the sound of it with a high revving engine that could be heard between the cracks of thunder. I lived near HTO VOR. I can only assume it was a freight dog. Looking at Nexrad radar I was amazed at what they flew through. Thats as recent as 3 yrs ago.

My understanding of an MEL if its on there and doesn’t work your not flying.

KHTO, LHTL

True, but the autopilot is on the MEL, which means you can go without it. I have done a few days without autopilot, mainly short sectors cruising mid 20s, and they are very hard work.

London area

I think there are very few aircraft used for any sort of regular commercial work without an autopilot these days.

EGTK Oxford

there is currency and then there is Currency.

Yes very much so.

Too many pilots switch on the autopilot at 200ft and switch it off at 200ft. A bit like most airline pilots actually but at least they get a “little test” of hand flying every 6 months.

But to be honest if I am flying somewhere seriously, I do almost the same. I climb out, autopilot on at say 1000ft, and it stays on will the DH on the ILS. IFR ATC expect instant and accurate execution of their instructions and up there it is 100% autopilot territory.

But then 99% of Eurocontrol IFR is in VMC and any monkey can hand fly in VMC… I do my IMC practice in Class G, over SE UK.

But we should all adjust the mission profile to our experience. Would I lose control in IMC and crash? Absolutely never (in the TB20). Would I pass the UK CAA initial IR test, with hand flown NDB, missed, hand flown, VOR, missed, hand flown ILS, missed, all FATs established within 5 degrees, readouts of “icing check” every 5 mins/1000ft, etc? I very much doubt it; like everybody I know personally, I only just got through the real one

most without an autopilot.

I wonder how much of that “hand fly this 30 year old piece of crap, straight through any CB, or you get fired” still remains. One reads about it on certain forums, and I know of a few pilots who did it in a past life, but piston transport isn’t a big thing anymore. The fuel costs a fortune and you can run a PC12 or a King Air for the cost of a big piston twin (though admittedly an AOC holder can reclaim both the duty and the VAT). The Islander/Trilander flights from say Southampton to Jersey were hand-flown, single pilot (medical every 6 months), but they were mostly VMC, scud running at 400ft if they had to (no pressurisation so no options).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message