Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TAS605 with GNS530

No AFMS, from such a “reputable” company??

That’s really bad.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed.
Just to clarify I got the Aircraft Flight Manual Update (obliged to insert the addendum) but what it contains is not related to the GNS530 operation.
It basically says (in my words) “don’t disobey ATC instructions from a TAS605 proximity alert and always look outside to obtain visual confirmation of the threat without taking for granted the TAS605 warning is a confirmed real threat”. Legal stuff …

Last Edited by petakas at 12 Oct 10:39
LGMG Megara, Greece

Typically they send you a binder will all docs some weeks after the install. When you take the aircraft, you only get the AFMS.

don’t disobey ATC instructions from a TAS605 proximity alert and always look outside to obtain visual confirmation of the threat without taking for granted the TAS605 warning is a confirmed real threat

That’s wrong.

I would never disregard traffic warnings if very close. These active systems are very good. The altitude is very accurate – as good as the two transponders and they are supposed to be within about 200ft. The distance is also very accurate – it is timed on the return of the packet. The only thing which is potentially not very accurate is the azimuth (the bearing) but given that the other two are accurate, you would be mad to disregard a warning of somebody at your level and at your position. I’ve had a number of those, never got visual (and wouldn’t anyway because the other plane is already very close), and usually I climb rapidly on the assumption that

• the other guy has not seen me, and
  • even if he has, he probably can’t climb as fast

It happens in the circuit. A lot of the time there is somebody there which ATC don’t know about. In Class G almost nothing is illegal, and even inside the ATZ if a plane does get spotted flying straight through, nothing is going to happen (e.g. a phone call to a radar unit to get someone to track him)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This missing document was not a missing AFMS supplement, but an informal document which shows how non garmin interfaced equipment behave on the GNS series. It is not part of the mandatory documentation of either the GNS or TAS, but it is usefull.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

This missing document was not a missing AFMS supplement, but an informal document which shows how non garmin interfaced equipment behave on the GNS series. It is not part of the mandatory documentation of either the GNS or TAS, but it is usefull.

Exactly, this is the one I did not get. The binder was indeed mailed few weeks later and I have to admit the work was of excellent quality.
My “missing” data is nothing critical, just the way GNS530 displays/filters the traffic and this can be found after few flights of playing with it.

@Peter I agree on what you say regarding its reliability and accuracy, still I believe for legal/liability reasons they make this addendum to the aircraft manual telling you basically this is not like the official TCAS like in airliners where you get Resolution Advisory and other failsafe rendundancies but merely an INFORMATION system based on which you cannot brake ATC instructions (i.e. in IFR separated flights etc.) without informing them etc.

LGMG Megara, Greece
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message