Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Techno classica Essen

I'm thinking of flying over from EGLD to visit the classic car show at Essen on 13th April. At first glance the local airfield (EDLE) looks fine but just thought I'd check and see if anyone's got any first hand knowledge of anything I should know about.

Forever learning
EGTB

Very good airport, as good as it gets for GA airfield in Germany. While VFR only, they do cooperate very well with the adjacent Dusseldorf airport and you can almost do an IFR approach (under RADAR until you're in the final).

We go there quite regularly as my parents-in-law live in the area.

Very friendly staff and, if you are planning to stay overnight, most of the time they also have hangar space available for a reasonable price (around EUR 12 per night). Make a phone call in advance or radio the tower and ask after you landed.

Fuel prices were also pretty good, currently their web-site gives a price of EUR 2,61 p.l.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

you can almost do an IFR approach (under RADAR until you're in the final)

As a fairly newly minted IR-holder and as this is something one does not learn in school:

I am planning on going to EDLE in a couple of days from my home (VFR)-field in Bavaria, so I have to file a Z-plan with an IFR-pick up. So far so good but how does one put a cloud breaking on the Dusseldorf ILS with the intention of landing in EDLE into the flight plan?

File EDDL as destination and EDLE as alternate and, once clear of cloud, re-route to the alternate in the air? File EDLE as destination and go VFR after the last waypoint on the route? Enter a REQ in the remarks section, e.g. "req cloud breaking on EDDL ILS with subsequent landing In EDLE"? Other?

RXH

So far so good but how does one put a cloud breaking on the Dusseldorf ILS with the intention of landing in EDLE into the flight plan?

That is not necessary. You file to EDLE and choose EDDL as your alternate. Once you get closer to your destination, ATC will ask you how to intend to change to VFR and depending on the weather it will be fairly obvious. What is special about EDLE is that EDDL is so close and rather busy so ATC want to keep you IFR / under their control for as long as possible. When I flew to EDLE the last time, I was vectored onto the final approach of EDLE.

Thanks, I will try that.

RXH
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message