Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The future of EASA Instrument Qualifications

Some of this is likely to be a UK problem, not an EASA problem. Many airfields have an NDB, the ILS procedures and holds are based on the NDB for the intermediate approach, and the only non-precision approach (other than the localizer approach) at was an NDB approach.

Even for those who added GPS, in many cases the ILS procedure still is NDB based.

And substitution of GPS for an ADF receiver is still officially not allowed... you at least need to have the ADF on board. What you use is a different matter...

Unless the environment we fly and train in gets rid of that, it will be hard to remove the emphasis on NDB flying in the course. Only when 80% of all approaches no longer require an ADF you could conceivably change that

As far as foggles are concerned - I understand the examiners there. When I did my IMC rating, I did my training in an aircraft with screens (at the recommendation of the instructor). That aircraft went tech on the day of the test so I flew the test with foggles - I felt like a cheat, it was so easy compared to screens. A hood, maybe with a couple of attachments, works as well as screens, though.

Biggin Hill

I am not defending the authorities on this but let me have a go at guessing some replies:

1) Why were NDB's not removed from the course?

Many European approaches are NDB based, and many more use NDBs within a procedure.

I know everybody with any sense flies these with a GPS but in the absence of a regulation permitting formal GPS substitution, what can one do?

2) Why are EASA still afraid of electronic E6Bs?

I think you can use electronic calculators in nearly all exams, but they want to test your understanding of the "wind triangle".

3) Why do UK examiners question the use of Foggles?

They say the student can cheat. This is true, if you look up at the compass, then you can see forward. But I have found this brief glimpse of no use at all and worse than not bothering to look. The only time it helps is if you can manage to peer straight ahead covertly and continuously when flying an ILS, but any half awake examiner will spot you doing that.

But, as I wrote earlier, I think the standard FTO screens are far too big and much smaller screens meet the CAA requirements. I made up nice small screens which the CAA approved immediately and I would be happy to fly with them again.

4) Why is there not a major emphasis on GPS operation?

Inertia....

But the FTO industry also don't want to teach GPS, because it means spending time training it, and money on maintaining installed units and there databases.

I bet you that if the UK CAA examiners had their way they would be doing a lot more GPS tests, but they can't if the FTO plane they get into conveniently happens to have an out of date database.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message