Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The long road to ownership

On a slightly different subject, here are the Links to the recent around the world trips done by comparable airplanes.

Unfortunately Jack Weigand’s Blog is no longer online.

Jack Weigand around the world 2013

Flight to Oskosh using an Ovation 1 (same type as Shorrick’s) Part 1 to 3

Also this flight was organized as part of a readers flyout with the German mag Pilot und Flugzeug. The Ovation is perfect for this kind of thing.

And here is the recent around the world trip in a Mooney 231, which is also documented on the mentioned Pilot und Flugzeug Video.

Blog M20K Encore N231WG

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter,

the 5 liter fuel canister was a joke of course. Actually, the little john/jane bottles are not that expensive, you can have 2-4 on board if you feel the need. Or there are also disposable bags available for sale at aviation shops. (Actually, out of experience, it may be well advised to do a “wet run” at home first so it is clear to everyone how to use the bottle, expeccally the “Lady Jane” version. Saves embarrassing spills on board.)

Nice plane

Why does every discussion on EuroGA at some point arrive at the “pee in the aircraft” subject?

• people who fly for real tend to do flights which are too long for one bladder
  • being desperate for a pee can be a life threatening in-flight distraction
  • as men get older, the prostate expands and irritates the bladder, reducing its effective capacity

The pictured 5 litre container is far too big – unless it’s going to be shared, and then I’d like to see each person having their own funnel

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The orifice on that tank is not large enough.

I know, just could not resist. For that matter, the “aviation material” pictured above should work even for 10 hour flights, particularly on the Ovation as with full tanks, you won’t load more than 2 rather slender people :)

Why does every discussion on EuroGA at some point arrive at the “pee in the aircraft” subject?

With an airplane potentially able to fly 13 hours I reckon it may well be of some significance :) As a matter of fact, I understand this was one suggestion given to Mooney on restart of production to think about this problem, as they are the only piston singles who out of the factory come with these kind of endurance, the Ovation being the record holder in that regard with 13 hours/2400 NM nominal endurance on long range tanks, the Acclaim coming in second with about 9 hours. The only other light planes I know of who can do the endurance (and in some cases the range with external tanks) were some modified Commanches and Twin Commanches. (And of course, there was the “Spirit of St. Louis” but that one is out of production even longer than the Commanche.

Incidently, I watched the latest movie by Pilot und Flugzeug last night. They did a round the world trip with 9 airplanes. The only avgas airplane who managed to do it was a Mooney Encore. And one other earth rounder, Jack Weigand, used the same type of plane Shorrick just bought, an Ovation with long haul tanks.

The orifice on that tank is not large enough.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Perhaps because people on here actually use their airplanes for going places?

Mooney Driver, your pictures give a new meaning to landing with full tanks

LOL !!

Looks like a tremendous aircraft. Many happy landings.

Mooney Driver, your pictures give a new meaning to landing with full tanks

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Hi Shorrick,

Apparently the trick is to match your drinking rate with your perspiration rate

too scientific for me :) We do own a high tech toilet for ours.

Maybe for your range, you need something like this plus the “lady adaptor” supplied with the “little john” :)

Actually, we never yet used ours in anger, despite some 4 hour flights.

A very fine beast! No need for a turbo as the big Conti should be good up to FL200.

Once nearly bought a 20E so have retained a soft spot for the type.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message