Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The most irritating things in flying

quatrelle wrote:

I think that we have had it relatively easy the past 20 or so years especially with the GAR online, my gripe is that most of the French airfields wanting the prev days notice (3 days for Mondays).

The GAR is a wonderful system (probably best in the world for countries that require immigration done on arrival), I just wished there would be a way we didn’t have to do immigration when crossing both, just like I don’t have to worry about it when doing a flight france → spain → portugal.

The UK “airfield not available outside of A/G hours” and me coming from a country that doesn’t want to be in an “immigration block” are what prevent most of my trips. I normally depart Friday after work and come back Sunday, so leaving the uk “late” (read after 19:00) can be a problem from certain airfields (even when it’s day until 22:00), and there aren’t many airfields in france with immigration open by the time I’ll land.

Noe wrote:

Having to stop for immigration when going to the continent

I agree but …..

Not wantingt to mention the " B " word but in the ‘good old days’ before we joined the EU, you had to clear customs BOTH WAYS at designated customs airfields and carry with you a GENDEC, on this you had to list all of the equipment / avionics / etc etc (along with serial numbers of same) installed in the aircraft as you needed to export it all leaving the country and then re-import it on return … what a pallaver …. lets hope we dont ever go back to this stupid arrangement.

I think that we have had it relatively easy the past 20 or so years especially with the GAR online, my gripe is that most of the French airfields wanting the prev days notice (3 days for Mondays).

Damn… I with my most irritable think in flying was what how a group of countries was described as in regulation of a remote land :)

My most irritable things are:
- How russians use meters for altitude (joking, I never flew there)
- UK airfields not being 24h (night / pcl)
- Having to stop for immigration when going to the continent

Last Edited by Noe at 26 Mar 16:27

Most irritating? Gliding with strong thermals and cloud streets near London class A airspace (UK only)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Most irritating? Bad weather at weekends.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

I agree, if you can ensure it is going to be 20 secs. You can’t always ensure it is limited to 20 secs. The subsequent time holding at low power also counts.

The other factors also count: why do the run up with a rocking and shaking aircraft and controls when you can do a smooth one into the wind?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

1-Ensure even engine cooling (cyls and oil)

I don’t see how a 10-20 second runup can cause dangerous engine temperatures. It’s not like you’re anywhere near full power on runup,

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

turning into the wind for the run-up

There are multiple factors, but they are all dependant on aircraft type, location and condition of the runup area and its surroundings as well as predominant wind conditions.

My main goals are, not necessarily in order of importance:

1-Ensure even engine cooling (cyls and oil)
2-Minimize stress on the airframe incl flight controls
3-Minimize impact to surrounding sensitive aircraft/property/persons
4-Minimize stress on pax aboard

All of the below is of course more relevant in 20kts wind than 5 kts winds, and depends on wind direction relative to the runup area.

On 1), cooling, I have seen aircraft that do not care, and aircraft that have a big difference in oil cooling depending on orientation. Our 210 is significantly affected. On a warm day it will make all the difference in T/O oil temp. CHT is less affected but also noticeable. Further more, even if indicated CHT is reasonable, downdraft aircooled cylinders need a positive airflow for a even temperature around the cylinder. Quite a few aircraft have zero or no downdraft cooling with a 20KT tailwind at say 1500RPM. You can tell because closing the cowl flaps makes no change to CHT (again 210 as example). I seem to recall CFO did a check on C177’s and it did not seem so relevant on the type.
On 2) In winds of 15KTS and higher, flight controls tend to move unless lined up with the wind. When throttling up for the runup with a tailwind, the relative wind on the controls can get very turbulent and reverse the flow with abrupt control and airframe movement unless held firmly. Sometimes I need a third hand to be safe and ask the help of a copilot during the runup. This is nothing to worry about if in a headwind.
On 3) I am usually very careful with surrounding aircraft and people. At airfields with sensitive areas near the runup this is especially important. See below examples where I often do a 270 turn for lineup to avoid propwash on people and gliders near runway threshold at Fayence and Bagneres de Luchon:

On 4) especially high wing aircraft rock a bit in a crosswind causing uneaseness on pax while you wait at he hold, in a 30 kt headwind they do not usually notice much

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

When talking of a SEP/MEP I know exactly what benefits this brings (and disagree that they are negligible, depending on ac type and wind)

Then please enlighten us. Apart from turning slightly aside when there are aircraft behind me to avoid hitting them with propwash, I have never been taught, nor practised, nor being checked turning into the wind for the run-up. I have only at very few occasions seen other pilots do this — and never anyone make a 360!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Michael_J wrote:

Enroute charges for a six seat non turbo charged non pressurized light twin with a MTOW at 2360 kg.

Enroute charges when smaller aircraft are arbitrarily excluded… :)

And the pessimism of so many pilots. Being rightly cautious does not have to make us quite so negative. This is meant to be fun right?

Last Edited by JasonC at 25 Mar 23:13
EGTK Oxford
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message