Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The most scenic trip to Sweden from the UK?

I am planning to fly there sometime soon. Any tips would be appreciated.

The airport needs Customs and avgas…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I took the trip up to Denmark recently following the coast all the way (i.e., cross over to Calais, turn left – end of map reading) at 1000ft all the way. It worked well at 80kts, maybe less ideal at 150

Planning to do a write-up when I get around to it.

EGTR

Lübeck is a favorite of mine, if you want a stop on the way. Easy access to the city by bus and an easy and inexpensive airport.

Do you have any ideas on where you would like go in Sweden?

In the south of Sweden we have Sturup (ESMS) with both customs and avgas. From there you have both Malmoe and Copenhagen within reach, I’ll be happy to give you a lift if needed (and the calendar agrees). In Gothenburg ESGP is probably the best alternative, in Stockholm I’m not sure because of the situation at Bromma, but I’m sure Krister can help you there.

I did it a few years ago.

As we didn’t have a mode S transponder (Mode C only) we were restricted to 1200ft in the Netherlands. So to make this easier, we stuck to the coast through the Netherlands. It turned out to be very scenic along there.

Then through Germany we stopped at each of the East Frisian Islands. Again very pretty.

Denmark was pretty flat, until we got to the East Coast and then all the Islands look really pretty too.

Stick to the coast and you can’t go wrong as far as scenery goes. But if you really want it nice, you’ll have to stay low…..might not be in your way of thinking ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

If you have the chance, visit Visby (Gotland), i don’t think they have customs(?) but if you do another stop in Sweden it is very beautiful and scenic! Maybe an hour flight time in TB20 from ESMS :).

http://skyvector.com/airport/ESSV/Visby-Airport

http://www.destinationgotland.se/en/

Made a trip there last year (ESKC-ESSV):

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 12 May 08:45
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

+1 on Visby and they have customs and immigration on request (+46-8-456 66 20)

Meeting up with a few pilots from here would be a bonus

I am looking for a nonstop flight. You know the way I work

Stopping for 2 nights is the most I can find time for at present.

By “scenic” I mean scenic on the ground, though a bit of local flying would be fine too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Since I live in Malmoe I can of course recommend it (and will be happy to assist of course). Our capital is also a beautiful city albeit their GA policy can make it a bit troublesome (not sure).

visitskane.com

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 12 May 09:41

The island of Gotland is one of the nicer destinations for pilots. That would mean flying to Visby ESSV.
Depending on your definition of “scenic” Gotland offers a very old town, Visby, that once was the center of trade to the east and that was invaded by various groups over time. There’s also the smaller island of Fårö to the east of Gotland connected by a 5 minute ferry and this is most notable as Ingmar Bergman’s home and for its special landscape.
There’s an old military airfield right on the doorstep to Fårö owned by an ex SAS captain that would be able to accomodate you as well I’m sure. The airfield is Bunge, ESVB. Here’s a link to the website (in Swedish) www.bungeflygfalt.se

If you prefer to visit Stockholm then there are some issues with the central Bromma airport, ESSB. You’ll have to park at Grafair Jet Center or BAM Bromma Air Maintenance. They are the two handling agents and it’ll be expensive I’m sure. There is no 100LL available there (officially at least) and the closest options with hard runways+IFR are ESKN, ESSU and ESOW all at a distance of about 100km from Stockholm.

I’m based at ESKN so could help you with tips there, possibly with hangarage as well.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message