Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Overhead Join - is it dangerous?

Well, the 45deg join doesn’t lead you on a wild goose chase and through the departure end of the active rwy. I know what I prefer!

What you can do in order to make yourself more visible, and to make a craft on collision course more visible as well (move in your site picture instead of being stationary), is making shallow turns. That will expose a larger cross section of your airplane to other traffic and hence make you easier to spot.

LFPT, LFPN

It doesn’t all matter very much anyway because many are so busy looking onto their iPad or tablet to follow the published pattern that they won’t ever see anything, irrespective of where it comes from.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 31 May 08:15
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

So true.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

EuroFlyer wrote:

It doesn’t all matter very much anyway because many are so busy looking onto their iPad or tablet to follow the published pattern that they won’t ever see anything, irrespective of where it comes from.

Yes….which is why timely radio calls with accurate position information is vital….(to beat a seemingly dead horse! )

“Hear and avoid” is probably ten times more effective than “see and avoid” in these scenarios…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 31 May 10:07
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

“Hear and avoid” is probably ten times more effective than “see and avoid” in these scenarios…

Hear, hear !

….couldn’t resist

What you need is to do some aerobatics – even a bit of an introductory course

Seriously talk about getting the head moving and you will find it swivels around a lot more when climbing out, whereas those not looking at the iPad will otherwise be staring straight ahead especially during those first “tense” few hundred feet.

To be fair the climb out can be busy until you are comfortable on type and there can be plenty to do leaving you gaze struck on one gauge or another which does not help. In some ways other than the u/c and flaps I often think you are better leaving everything alone until up to circuit height – after all it probably doesnt make that much difference to fuel and / or engine life which takes up most of the hand eye time.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

In some ways other than the u/c and flaps I often think you are better leaving everything alone until up to circuit height – after all it probably doesnt make that much difference to fuel and / or engine life which takes up most of the hand eye time.

I agree. There also is some FAA statistic out there (don’t have a reference, may also be an urban myth), that most EFATOs occur on the first change in power settings. I usually leave the engine alone till above 1000 AGL.

172driver wrote:

There also is some FAA statistic out there (don’t have a reference, may also be an urban myth), that most EFATOs occur on the first change in power settings.

According to the book I’m (still) (occasionally) reading, there is no evidence to support this; and the author writes that he searched everywhere for a long time to support such a claim.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

What you need is to do some aerobatics – even a bit of an introductory course

At our field, aerobatics are done inside controlled airspace, and you get traffic information. You can distinguish experienced controllers from less experienced ones because the inexperienced ones will give you traffic information by saying “traffic 11 o’clock … now 5 o’clock … uhh nevermind”, while the others will state “2 miles north of your position southbound”. Actually that only happened once, but I found it hilarious.

Squawk aeros

Sign in to add your message