Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Russian way to remove ice and snow - during takeoff

Other question: Why should a pilot not fingerpoint these idiots who risk the lives of their passengers?

Last Edited by at 23 Feb 16:22

Because it is a dangerous and accident prone attitude!

When was the last stupid thing YOU did?
And does Peter want me to fingerpoint at his own friends who were “stupid” enough to crash totally unnecessarily taking lifes of innocent people?

That video has been on youtube, and all over the internet, facebook, etc, for nearly 5 years. If it is a fake, why don’t you campaign to have it removed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We’ll probably won’t find any reasonable stats proving or disproving pilots from Russia are better or more dangerous than their colleagues in Europe / Americas. There might be some prejudice one way or the other likely no data (and possibly no actual difference)
Really stupid things done everywhere by every training /nationality, so probably not worth making a storm in a teacup!

I bet if this hadn’t been shot on video it probably would never have been reported!

Can’t see what’s dangerous about someone publishing the video either!

Last Edited by Noe at 23 Feb 16:41

It’s really nothing new that airlines operations in Russia are many times not on the same level as in Western Europe, Asia or the US, and that it is more dangerous to fly in Russia. And that video speaks for itself. And yes, the Air Florida crew in D.C: attempted the same, but they were less lucky.

If you knew anything about that business you would know that there have been many cases of (completely) drunk pilots, vodka bottles in cockpits, and worse … ANYBODY who has flown in Russia a couple of times can tell you stories. I for one was on an Airliner between two russian cities that flew VFR at low altitude (3-5000 ft), because “the navigation equipment had failed” (as one of the pilots told me later).

The russian pilots are very good, I think, and they have good training. But the airlines operations in geneal are less safe, or they were for a long time. Not sure about today.

Last Edited by at 23 Feb 17:04

These particular pilots were likely even more stupider than the canadians, who were stupider than the americans. The canadians had the americans to learn on, and these ones had at least the 2 accidents described above as an example..

bodensee747 wrote:

Peter,

FYI Russian Pilots are better pilots.
At least their passengers survive.

Compared to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Ontario_Flight_1363
and this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_Flight_90.

You mean the Russian pilots were more lucky pilots than their US and canadian colleagues.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Really, below 0C?

Yes. It makes no difference at “normal” temperatures. -40 deg C may be another matter though. We wash the cars here at subzero temperatures also, no problems with that either.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Can anyone not see the problem with washing an aircraft below 0C, using water?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Can anyone not see the problem with washing an aircraft below 0C, using water?

Not if it is a special aircraft that can fly in 90kt winds and mountain rotors.

Sign in to add your message