Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Vanishing Act of Quality EASA SEPs in 2024: Discussion

I’ve been on Planecheck for about a year now, in search of a decent EASA registered SEP under ~€130k. What I’ve observed in the current market has led me to some questions. The majority of new listings appear to be old aircraft, equipped with aging engines and very old avionics and equipment. While these aircraft are on the lower end of the price spectrum, they’re hardly a bargain once you factor in the necessary updates and their total flight hours.

Then, there’s the other extreme: hangar queens priced so high that any reasonable buyer would rather opt for something much newer for the same or just a slightly higher price. Some of these aircraft are nearing engine overhaul times or are equipped with odd avionic setups – like putting a G1000 in a 172 which I find totally wasted for a plane like that.

Is this a fleeting phase, or are we witnessing a real shift in the EASA SEP market? Has anyone else experienced this? Are we facing a genuine scarcity of quality, reasonably priced EASA SEPs, or am I missing something here? What does it take to find a reasonably priced 135kt+ EASA SEP in decent condition with a GTN650, not too terrible AP and an decent engine monitor these days?

Looking forward to hearing your observations and insights.

ELLX, Luxembourg

This one is a pretty good balance between the two you’re describing : https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=53775
(although still on the expensive side)

But basically, I think what you describe reflects the poor quality of average ownership caring. Some owners don’t spend on upgrades, delay important repairs, and aircrafts spend time on the ground or with outdated avionics. You end up with super low value aircrafts, very hard to sell (arguably even harder to buy, because you never know what bad caring has in stock for you).

On the other end of the spectrum, some broker companies buy planes in OK condition (but outdated avionics), do a full upgrade of the interior, full panel upgrade, maybe change a prop, update the fuel system etc. This is very expensive in itself, but the company also has to recoup the risk they take (the aircraft may never sell after upgrading). So you end up with a super-expensive machine that’s not exactly the way you want (interior color choices, specific avionics, etc.).

To me the best is to keep scanning and eventually find something in nice condition and good price, without fancy avionics (except if it has roughly what you want already).

Last Edited by maxbc at 22 Jan 13:09
France

In a very simplified way, all logical
Aircraft manufacturer producing new aircraft have almost disappeared, or the products offered are astronomically priced. A large part of pilots has, and is still moving towards the UL scene. And speaking generally, the number of licensed pilots is dwindling.
During this time, aircraft which should be considered as dinosaurs are being resurrected, or just kept alive, depending on the sums and time invested. Mix-in some uncertainties as fuel availability on top of that…

Not sure GA will ever recover… though in reality GA is a misnomer as in including categories of aircraft vastly different, ranging from say a rag and tube shift UL to the shiniest business jet…

Yes, patience and some luck are required to find the right object. Like being at the right place, at the right moment, and with the right people

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

As is very common on older UK aircraft, no autopilot (+25k). And one would also have to pay VAT in the EU (and register in the EU). Add another 25k.

On a general note, whiel aircraft have become more expensive, nothing significant has changed over the last 5-10 years. Even back then, you couldn’t buy an essentially squawk-less, ready, and less than 25-year old 135kt+ IFR tourer for less than 130k€.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

maxbc wrote:

This one is a pretty good balance between the two you’re describing : https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=53775
(although still on the expensive side)

I consider the Dual Aspen EFD200 PFD/MFD with Sythetic Vision wasted on this plane that doesn’t even have a basic AP. It also doesn’t have a digital engine monitor. The only thing it has going for it in my eyes is the fairly low engine/prop time although who knows what parts of the engine are new and what parts were just checked for serviceability during the overhaul. I would not want to pay more than 100k for this 1971 plane, and this plane is UK registered so I would likely need to add VAT on top of what they’re asking for and have further costs and headaches getting it EASA registered in my home country.

Actually this plane is an example of what I keep seeing and finding unreasonable. OR am I the unreasonable one?

ELLX, Luxembourg

You may well be right. Round here I see more and more older Robin’s, Mooneys, Gardans being renovated/refurbished and looking like it has just come out of the factory. And in reality they have
These aircraft have been bought by their family owner’s from new and kept in the family since the 1970’s or have been bought cheaply and given a total make over. Many tell me they just love the plane and can’t see anything else they want and it’s a lot cheaper than most new aircraft cost.
Still my all time favourite was 2 brothers from Shoreham, who visited LFFK in a beautiful Piper Aztec which they had bought as a write off from an insurance company for £2000 and restored it to as new plus a few updated things like avionics. I always used to think about trying to do the same thing but never got round to it.

Last Edited by gallois at 22 Jan 14:15
France

gallois wrote:

I always used to think about trying to do the same thing but never got round to it.

Even that seems to be impossible. Take a look at this: https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=57743 How can they think anyone will pay 46k for this is beyond me. It’s worth max 8k, if that, and that’s only because of the GTN650, if it still works alright. I mean really someone tell me if I’m the one who is unreasonable and what I’m missing because everywhere I look I see people seriously overvaluing what they’re selling by at least 40% if not 60%.

ELLX, Luxembourg

I see people seriously overvaluing what they’re selling by at least 40% if not 60%.

Just don’t pay attention to the price. If you like what you see, express your interest, ask for additional details, and if you still like it, offer your price and start negotiating.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Even back then, you couldn’t buy an essentially squawk-less, ready, and less than 25-year old 135kt+ IFR tourer for less than 130k€.

11 years ago I sold my TB20, year 2000, absolutely squawk-less, with some 350 hours on new engine, GNS530, DME, ADF, S-mode for 130k€.

Last Edited by Emir at 22 Jan 15:19
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

hazek wrote:

Actually this plane is an example of what I keep seeing and finding unreasonable. OR am I the unreasonable one?

No, I agree with you. I just did a quick look. In fact, the more affordable 177 offers from the past months have disappeared (presumably sold). Again, anyone selling flashy avionics is going to have a big price tag. There’s no way around the fact that good avionics are really expensive, as are good APs (especially for old aircrafts where stock AP did not exist or would be prehistoric today).

For VFR, another route may be to skip avionics completely and do as much as possible using iPads / portable equipment.

France
71 Posts
Sign in to add your message