Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

There is traffic around at FL200

AdamFrisch wrote:

No, the altitude on the transponder is corrected on the radar with the actual local QNH. It sends out in 1013 Hpa. Don’t mess with that.

I guess I’m slow but you’re using 1013 hPa when above transition level as well. I don’t see a reason why would ATC want to see the actual altitude instead of flight level (however, I’m not a controller). And I doubt TCAS performs such correction.

Martin wrote:

I guess I’m slow but you’re using 1013 hPa when above transition level as well.

I wonder how how often Adam flies above 18,000 ft transition altitude? 99.9% of US GA operations (I’m guessing) are conducted below transition altitude, with an altimeter setting different than the Mode C encoder.

I have never flown above TA and likely never will.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Mar 17:15

Just to clarify, in case it is necessary, transition altitudes in Europe are generally 3000-6000 feet and depend on the terminal area and QNH.

In the US it is 18000 feet everywhere.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 21 Mar 17:40
LFPT, LFPN

Silvaire wrote:

I wonder how how often Adam flies above 18,000 ft transition altitude?

Adam’s new plane never gets above 0ft AGL. No need for flight levels.

Last Edited by JasonC at 21 Mar 18:05
EGTK Oxford

Aviathor wrote:

Just to clarify, in case it is necessary, transition altitudes in Europe are generally 3000-6000 feet and depend on the terminal area and QNH.

In the US it is 18000 feet everywhere.

I understood, but thanks for making that context clear.

Once Adam gets his plane back in the air, I suppose he may regularly fly above 18000 feet since it is a pressurized turboprop… Or did I miss something?

LFPT, LFPN
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message