Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR over class A in France?

Hey,

Can you overfly Paris’ Class A airspace under VFR ?

Niner Mike

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Nope. The TMA (class A) is up to FL115. Above that, there is the so called LTA, which is class D but there is a permanent NOTAM out there that bans VFR above FL115 in the Paris FIR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Bosco.

Just found:

VFR FORBIDDEN ABOVE FL115 IN SECTORS MANAGED BY PARIS
CONTROLE EXCEPT PARTICULIAR ACTIVITIES AUTHORIZED BY PARIS CONTROLE

Abeam the Flying Dream

But there seem to be VFR routes through Paris class A airspace. Possibly mostly for helicopters, though.

LSZK, Switzerland

Only helicopters to and from Issy-les-Moulineaux AFAIK. And recently they required that all helicopters using these routes should have two turbines.

The other VFR routes through NE Paris are not used.

LFPT, LFPN

Another thing I just remembered, is that according to ICAO and SERA, VFR is forbidden in class A. In France there were exceptions to that rule which no longer apply since SERA was introduced on December 4 last year.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor: correct. My intention was to fligh higher, over the class A near Reims VFR southbound.

Would anyone have any experience whether exceptions can be requested and granted? Can I ask ATC (Paris Control) to overfly their class A TMA near Reims, and is there a fair chance that it might be granted?

Abeam the Flying Dream

I think you would be sitting in the way of some serious heavy iron. Assuming you would be flying a SEP, of course…

EBST, Belgium

France seems to guard the Paris airspace like nothing else. I don’t think I have ever been given a shortcut through any of it. They are totally inflexible.

But if it was a rational matter of national security, they would not allow FL200+ overflights by light GA, because even my TB20 can get to FL200.

There isn’t much of an issue with light GA conflicting with passenger jets because the Eurocontrol routings route the transiting traffic well away from the terminal areas. So this is one of the many myths propagated within GA. The reality is that you can fly around Paris, just outside the limit of where they let you, and not see any jets visually or on TCAS. And similarly elsewhere in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most low level class A airspace in France is now class D since SERA went into force.
But those new class D airspaces come with a R zone (LF-R275) that forbids VFR flights exepct for medivac, heliroutes, police and custom etc.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier%5Caicfrancea%5CAIC_A_2014_16_EN.pdf

Paris, France
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message