Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ticket, please!

Mooney_Driver wrote:

No idea why it is not included in the US,

Simple – because it’s not needed.

Silvaire wrote:

I saw a gyrocopter flying overhead today (in Istria) and wondered what he had to do before getting airborne.

Depends on altitude and distance planned to travel. If it’s local flight in G layer, nothing, except contracting Pula radar when airborne to notify them about the intentions. If it’s above 1000 AGL and destination is some more distant airfield than flight plan is mandatory.

Silvaire wrote:

It’s a beautiful flying day and a beautiful place.

Yes it is and I’m sitting behind the keyboard

Last Edited by Emir at 01 Jun 12:54
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Emir I saw a gyrocopter flying overhead today (in Istria ) and wondered what he had to do before getting airborne. It’s a beautiful flying day and a beautiful place.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jun 12:40

Silvaire wrote:

US

Land of free

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Mooney_Driver wrote:

No idea why it is not included in the US, seemed inconceivable to me as it is one of the core benefits.

I’ve never been asked to identify myself at any airport where I’ve flown since 1978. Generally for public parking in the US there is a sign instructing you to type in the ATIS or CTAF frequency or similar (on the key pad) to get through the gate, and most often nobody is around to look at any badge or whatever. Either that or the gate code is posted on the ramp side, and you make a note of it when leaving. If you forget to do so, you need to yell across the fence for somebody to let you in

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jun 11:01

Alex,

We get it included in Switzerland. No idea why it is not included in the US, seemed inconceivable to me as it is one of the core benefits. In any case get it. If it costs 20 bucks it’s worth every penny. .

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Aopa Austria sends you a plastic id card. It’s pretty worthless though as most fields around here require a license and passport to go airside (checked by airport ops office after passing security).

always learning
LO__, Austria

AOPA US or UK?

LRIA, Romania

For 20eur AOPA issues a photo ID with a cutout to make it a badge to wear ;-)

EDM_, Germany

I do the same US AOPA membership. You get a fairly good magazine for it (much better than any of the UK ones) and you get the “AOPA discount” at various airports in Croatia, Greece, etc.

I am sure it is of little use for getting oneself taken more seriously. The FAA plastic license card is pretty good.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message