Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Touring and tying down

If there are no rings in the asphalt, I usually use corkscrews. This year I have been to a couple of fields where screwing them was near impossible. Then you make a silent prayer for no storm that night.

ESMK, Sweden
When there are no tiedown rings available you should bring your own anchors. For different soil types you will need different types of anchors: The cork screw type is OK for softer grass fields but useless for hard stone loaded soil. For that kind the nail types might be more useful. So you need a decent hammer and VERY sturdy nails with rings for tying down . Question is, how long will all types stand vibrations and strain on them when wind forces are heavily changing force and directions. The folks at Avweb did some testing of various types, this could still be found there, I think. Vic
vic
EDME

With this kind of capability I doubt a screw-in type tiedown would do much good

These

would just pull straight out of any substance into which a human could screw them into by hand.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

https://theclaw.com/products/c-100-aircraft-anchoring-system/ has some good reputation among local pilots.

ELLX

This is the recommended method on ice

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Am I right in that the dug out cavity needs to be filled with water and you wait for the water to freeze? That should be pretty good…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Just found the Avweb test:

Vic

vic
EDME

@LeSving, affirmed. Exactly the same method is used by mountaineers for anchoring on ice when running short of ice screws.

@Peter, no, you don’t dig a cavity, you drill two thin holes intersecting at a sufficient depth below the surface, then run a rope through it. No filling with water, either, otherwise you’ll never be able to pull the rope back out.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 20 Dec 23:47
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

They hadn’t tied it to three concrete-filled tyres.
Scroll down to item.
http://icelandreview.com/news/2018/02/03/powerful-winds-spin-unoccupied-jet-around-completely

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 04 Feb 20:32
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

holes intersecting at a sufficient depth below the surface, then run a rope through it. No filling with water, either, otherwise you’ll never be able to pull the rope back out.

Having difficulty in imagining how to thread the rope down one hole and up the other….

Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message