Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traffic for an RV7A

Interestingly the website says nothing about antennae, so… digging deeper

this seems to be just a box which does

• FLARM (which almost no powered traffic radiates)
  • ADS-B (which practically zero light GA radiates)

and it does distance + altitude for Mode S (I hope they mean Mode C actually) which is like POWERFLARM i.e. no azimuth.

That sort of product can be made more cheaply than active TAS systems but is basically useless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter while not being perfect the TRX-1500 will give warning of the proximity of other traffic and the aproxomate direction of some of it.

I compleatly disagree with your opinion of FLARM, gliders are as good as imposable to see and hitting one will kill you just as dead as hitting a powered aircraft, any system that gives you ( and the glider pilot ) traffic information is well worth having when flying VFR.

Peter wrote:

and it does distance + altitude for Mode S (I hope they mean Mode C actually) which is like POWERFLARM i.e. no azimuth.

Unfortunatly not, It is really mode S only. I was amazed about that as well.

Peter wrote:

FLARM (which almost no powered traffic radiates)
ADS-B (which practically zero light GA radiates)

More and more will do that. Had issues with PowerFlarm on Garmin though. Garmin does not support Flarm products, and Flarm says you must use a flarm display for full use, you can use compatible Garmin TIS displays as well, yet they haven’t got a clue which are compatible and which not. They will not indicate with which displays they have interfaced, apart from those dedicated Flarm displays as listed on their website.

IMHO Flarm is going in the wrong direction, they started to use (simple) encryption etc and behave like the big companys. Their are some open alternatives as well now. The disadvantage is when everyone uses a different system.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Flyer59 wrote:

This is much nicer, combines traffic and a transponder

It will be a nice unit for USA. In Europe it wouldn’t make much sense, as it will only display ADS-B targets (no regular mode S or mode C transponders). You can not use the FIS-B or ADS-R functions in Europe.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

From the website;

The Lynx NGT-9000 has the option to be equipped with the L-3 NextGen Active Traffic® system. This enablement blends ADS-B with active traffic data, providing an uninterrupted display of aircraft equipped with Mode A, C and S transponders.

Flyer59 wrote:

The Lynx NGT-9000 has the option to be equipped with the L-3 NextGen Active Traffic® system. This enablement blends ADS-B with active traffic data, providing an uninterrupted display of aircraft equipped with Mode A, C and S transponders.

That is true, with that option it is much more expensive then a TAS-600 (without display). Yet if you have traffic on your PFD or GNS/GTN you will have a better traffic presentation then with the NGT-9000.

When you need traffic, and need a new transponder, then it might be a good deal.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Yes, that’s what i think too! But you can have its traffic data on the MFD too

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 19 Oct 21:04

Peter while not being perfect the TRX-1500 will give warning of the proximity of other traffic and the aproxomate direction of some of it.

Tell ya what… I didn’t like paying GBP 12k for my active TCAS and I liked even less the huge hassle I got with that installer and their countless bodges, stripped screws, etc. But when I fly around the place with it and look at the targets it picks up, it’s blindingly obvious almost none of them will be carrying a FLARM box and close to zero will be radiating ADS-B. It works well – except for late warnings of head-on traffic, but 1nm is a lot better than nothing. Today I was tracking bizjets and Dash-8s at 15nm, right on spec, but they have decent TXP installations…

I know there is a lot of talk about ADS-B and yeah it is a technology with a great future, and a very good technical solution to traffic warning (the best there is actually) but I think most of the people who radiate it are already on EuroGA and if you want to avoid them you just set up some alerts on FR24

I agree about gliders and probably the view here depends on where one flies. I try to get VMC on top on longer trips and there aren’t going to be any gliders there – except near the side of a mountain with wind blowing up it.

Unfortunatly not, It is really mode S only. I was amazed about that as well.

I wonder how can that be. Mode S doesn’t return altitude at all, does it? In light GA it returns only the 24-bit code, the aircraft reg (?) and a flag saying whether it can do more than 150kt. At least that’s what my GTX330 does. OK; if you feed it with GPS data then it will happily radiate lat/long and altitude as well but who in light GA is radiating Enhanced Mode S? It is still in theory illegal unless you are 250kt+ etc and one UK avionics shop (Lees) wrote openly some years ago that (paraphrasing) they had to rip out large numbers of the interconnections which made the installations illegal.

Why FLARM is encrypted is incredibly stupid. It’s a market grab – get it adopted, with lots of addicts, and then screw them. What other motive could there be?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder how can that be

Typically with the transponder on ALT it will do mode A (squawk), mode C (altitude) mode S (additional data depending on aircraft). Likely they do mode S only to keep track of multiple aircraft. You can have multiple aircraft which squawk 7000 and can be on the same altitude. It would be difficult to keep track of these if you don’t have a sense of direction. When you know the unique 24 bit adress you will be able to keep track of them.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message