Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traffic for an RV7A

tmo wrote:

Which would be great, but the requirement for the transponder to NOT be covered under ETSO C166b would make this much less usable, right? As in, most anything with mode S would be ETSO C166b? The Trig stuff seems to be.

This is a non compliance ADS-B out installation. A full compliance ADS-B installation requires further certificiation

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Pardon my ignorance, but if I don’t ask, it will be 100x as hard to learn – so does that mean that setup (TT-31 + a non certified GPS source) effectively give a valid ADS-B signal, for all practical intents and purposes, but it is not considered ADS-B out for airspace that would require it?

Thank you for bearing with me!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but if I don’t ask, it will be 100x as hard to learn

Don’t bother asking, that is what the forum is for isn’t it. I find at very usefull and learn from it as well.

tmo wrote:

so does that mean that setup (TT-31 + a non certified GPS source) effectively give a valid ADS-B signal, for all practical intents and purposes, but it is not considered ADS-B out for airspace that would require it?

Correct. A mode S transponder with a non certified GPS will give an ADS-B signal. It is however important that the transponder broadscast that this is a transponder with unknown quality GPS source (lowest possible quality). The software at the receiver end of this broadcast can then determine what to do with it. This configuration is non compliant, so can not be used in situations where ADS-B out is mandatory

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

My TAS600 has now arrived with the latest version of the manual revised June 2015.My first problem. Quote from the manual:-

The RV7A is fitted with a slider canopy so the antenna (on a flat mounting total 75mm high) cannot be mounted on that. There is plenty of space immediately behind the engine canopy on a flat metal platform which is immediately in front of the windshield. This would give a good view forward and sideways but would be “looking” through the propellor which is about 1 mtr forward. Would that position degrade the signal? Alternatively it can be mounted on top of the fuselage behind the canopy but that would be about 2/3rds of the way from the front. Any ideas please? I have sent a similar enquiry to Avidyne.

This picture is for reference. You can see the flat area about 300mm wide in front of the screen and the area to the rear above the R in the registration.

Last Edited by waveflyer at 05 Nov 22:56

Place the dual blade antenna on top (this one looks left – right), and the single blade (front – aft) antenna on the bottom.
If yours is the same as the reference, relocate the COM antenna to the belly as well.

Again, I strongly advise you to do this with an installer. It’s a waste of money if you don’t get the maximum out the installation.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

My dual blade is on the bottom. I wonder why?

It’s also interesting that Avidyne are updating the manual after this box has been out for… what… 20 years? They are ex Ryan boxes which Avidyne bought in. Has nobody before complained that they cannot see head-on traffic until it is 1-2nm away?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

My dual blade is on the bottom. I wonder why?

That is the recommended position. The manual gives the installer the freedom to install it where he find it most appropriate. I do the dual blade on top on the TB20 as well. It can have a much better left / right view than under the belly.

Peter wrote:

It’s also interesting that Avidyne are updating the manual after this box has been out for… what… 20 years? They are ex Ryan boxes which Avidyne bought in.

They have done this ex Ryan boxes for years. Now they have a (partially) new design.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

Again, I strongly advise you to do this with an installer. It’s a waste of money if you don’t get the maximum out the installation.

Jesse
Thanks for your input and I certainly will be following that advice. I am trying to get as many views as possible before I start cutting holes but would appreciate some guidance on the exact position of both antenna.

I do the dual blade on top on the TB20 as well. It can have a much better left / right view than under the belly.

Interestingly I don’t have an issue with left/right at all. I can see even light GA targets up to 10nm away (5nm is more typical). The issue is with head-on (12 o’clock) which aren’t seen till about 1-2nm. And probably the same behind but that is less of a concern because an F16 coming up at my 6 o’clock will have me on radar

Everybody I know reports the range of these ex-Ryan boxes as fiction, in the light GA scenario. One pilot I know chucked out a TAS600 and put in a TAS605 for this reason, but I haven’t heard from him about the result. They rarely seem to achieve more than 1/3 of the sales brochure range, except against bizjets and airliners, but one is rarely “against” those because they are found mostly in CAS and there you get ATC radar separation (in Europe).

But, 5nm is easily good enough for the job, and I am really pleased with my TAS605. Together with the massive proportion of non-TXP and Mode A traffic being below 2000ft, it works great.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message