Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip Report "Fly to Ski": Zell am See

Great report Patrick. Looks like nice real snow on the top. I found the same when I went there in March 2016, but you need to know how to ski, up there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Patrick wrote:

How do other clubs – or even private owners – handle this? What do you do if you don’t fly for a month? Say, you’re on holiday for two weeks and then you’re ill

WellI dont know about others but what I do is, I have an Engine Savor Dehydration system attached pumping dry air into where the dipstick is located. When I leave for 6 weeks which I plan to do the end of this month, I will change the oil if I have more than 10 hrs on it. I always use Camguard anyway but will add more for a last flight before I depart for the 6 weeks. I have dehydrator plugs for the cyls and the exhaust pipes and a bag of dessicant for the intake which I will seal with duct tape.

I think that should last for 8 weeks in case I get stuck.

Im gong to get an engine preservative oil but I dont have it available before I go on this trip.

I basically do what is listed in this article for the past 15 yrs:

http://www.avweb.com/news/redundant/storing_your_airplane_for_winter_207881-1.html

KHTO, LHTL
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Enjoyed the report and confirms the utility of a 172 – that looked a nicely presented one.

Over ten years since I visited ZamS, nice friendly resort.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

To add onto Higher fliers question what were the lowest temps the night before you departed?

I have no exact figure, but a quick web search says -10°C and my own recollection from walking home that night confirms this.

C210_Flyer wrote:

Also how does your club handle an inactive airplane?

As far as I know, there is no specific handling. That is an interesting point. How do other clubs – or even private owners – handle this? What do you do if you don’t fly for a month? Say, you’re on holiday for two weeks and then you’re ill?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Nice report. To add onto Higher fliers question what were the lowest temps the night before you departed?

Also how does your club handle an inactive airplane? Anything more than a month is a no no regarding Manuf. recommendations where a temporary storage is required.

KHTO, LHTL

eddsPeter wrote:

How did you deal with your skiing equipment? Did you rent the skis our carried them with you in the Cessna?

Hello Peter.

We had everything with us except for the skiis. We rented those locally. That is easily possible: There are several rental shops at the lifts. We rented with Intersport without online booking for 30 EUR for the day (valid until 10:00 the next morning). I think fitting the skis into the 182 would have been possible, not so sure about the 172. But to be honest, I can’t even fit my skis into my car to the airport, as I drive a two-seat roadster.

highflyer wrote:

What was the OAT at your time of departure at LOWZ and how did you manage the engine preheating, do the airport offer a power plug for the heater?

Hello highfligher,

The OAT at time of departure was around 0°C.

Unfortunately, no preheating was available – I had discussed this with the club mechanic beforehand.

The airport would have helped with external power, should we have required it. It was in fact a very busy day with lots of local pilots flying.

However, at LOWZ, our Cessna started at the first attempt, even after two nights outside.

Last Edited by Patrick at 02 Jan 12:29
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Forever learning
EGTB

Many thanks for this nice report. This is what I would like to do as well. What was the OAT at your time of departure at LOWZ and how did you manage the engine preheating, do the airport offer a power plug for the heater?

Berlin, Germany

Great write-up! Thanks, Zell am See looks very nice.

ESSZ, Sweden
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message