Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AIPs Germany VFR

Researching for a trip UK to Croatia via France, Germany, Austria and Slovenia.

It appears that AIP’s for Germany are difficult to find unless you pay for the documents £51.99 pa as a Sky Demon add on.

Can anyone suggest anyway of obtaining the AIP’s or the same info with any cost.

It seems strange to me to charge for a safety procedural document.

Regards John

EGCV Sleap, United Kingdom

German and Swiss AIPs (also some others) are paid. The only other option is to get the docs from a friend who bought them.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

If you have Germany downloaded in Skydemon the major airfields are under the Airfields tab > AIPs > Germany

Hopefully this helps..?

I’ve only been via France and northern Italy (i.e. not through Germany), but can highly recommend Slovenia and Croatia

Edit: yes, Vladimir is right, I think you have to get the DFS subscription

Last Edited by Capitaine at 18 Jan 22:02
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The larger airports have their AIP entries published free in the AIP on the EuroControl website, but just their IFR charts. However these are just the handful of very large airports. All the airports that you are likely to visit only have their data (And VFR charts for the larger airports) available via the purchased data from DFS.

If you know where you are going to, then often contacting that airport directly will result in them sending you a copy of the documents for that airport, or they may even publish a version on their website. But not’s not of much help if you want to use the AIP to help decide between a number of different airports!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Do you have an idea where you want to go in Germany? I guess there will be more infos on this forum within a few days than what you would find in the AIP anyway. You could also try www.eddh.de . It´s in German only, but for most airfields it refers to the aerodromes homepage which often gives you the information you need “unofficially”.
Skydemon will give you the published traffic patterns, there´s no need for the DFS charts.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

You don’t really need the aproach plates if you use skydemon or similar apps. The traffic pattern is depicted in skydemon and other than that just keep in mind that Germany is noise sensitive. Go around villages if possible, don’t be a jerk and don’t hit anything and you’ll be fine.

If you have further questions just phone the field ( like edxh has a min. PIC time, but now you know…)

Last Edited by mh at 19 Jan 02:08
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Design4p, if you make a friend with someone who has access to Jeppview, I believe the VFR Europe plates contain all the information in the German VFR aerodrome AIP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When go to Germany, I am usually satisfied with the airfield’s website for info and whatever is available in SkyDemon. Hiding the AIP behind payment schemes should be illegal.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 19 Jan 06:54
ESSZ, Sweden

It is what it is. Unfortunately, most airfield websites do NOT show the cicuit diagram in sufficient detail. Most of them really expect you make the turns at very specific turns. Skydemon is decent enough. But if you don’t have that, better get the AIP VFR chart or the Jepp one. It’s easy though. Just ask someone who was access to these and he can send you a screenshot. If you want to avoid being told off or so, better comply.

The other thing is airfield opening times, operating limitations, etc. Some airfield website show this in all detail, but others don’t. Skydemon has some very serious faults in the opening times infos within the app (supplied directly by DFS), which they, for many months, have not been able to sort out with them.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Jan 07:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Someone posted a while ago that some German airfields which posted the AIP plates on their websites were forced to take them down.

It is always difficult for an app’s publisher to decide which data to publish. The airport’s own (probably more accurate), or the AIP? If you choose the former you have to phone up the airport at every update cycle (the airport’s website may be wrong, too). And you could get into trouble because the source is not “official” (and you have no idea how junior the person you are talking to is). If you choose the latter then you can use the same process which you use for updating the app generally, and you are protected from trouble, even if you know the data is wrong. Plus, if you use the former source then you have to “tag” that airport as having unreliable AIP data, and then you need to monitor that situation continuously and maybe decide at some point to remove that tag. So it is a no-win situation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message