Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A new twist to crossing the Schengen area border

Customs is concerned with the movement of goods, while Immigration is concerned with the movement of people.

I have always seen the two work together at airports - never one without the other.

Peter - has Sussex separated from the rest of the UK? I think we should be told.

EGTT, The London FIR

Very funny

I suspect that the use of "Sussex" in that Shoreham Airport document just refers to the other Sussex airports also. I have no idea if that form is even up to date. I just knock up the GAR form and email it to the ncu@ address, for any foreign flight.

It is only for the CTA (IOM, Ireland, etc) that one needs to do the police notification... I would probably visit that new GAR filing website for that when I do that next.

I have always seen the two work together at airports - never one without the other.

"Intellectually" the two are separate, and may be operated by separate policemen at a given airport, but it is normal to assume that an airport which is described in the standard airport guides as "Customs" has both, and if "no Customs" it has neither.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting that your form indicates Customs required to Sussex from the EU!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

That Sussex matrix - apart from being old - is and has been known for years to be bollox, AFAIK. The only official (and current) regulations are laid out here.

I know I know, arguing with authorities like customs, immigration and police is not pleasant and may neither be wise, so Sussex pilots probably just adjust accordingly.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Interesting that your form indicates Customs required to Sussex from the EU!

Yes.

I checked that out. The answer, which suprised a lot of people, was that despite the notification applicability requirements printed on pages 2 and 3 of the GAR form, there are additional unpublished requirements which have been privately agreed between airfields and the authorities.

And Shoreham is one of the airports which has this "extra" agreement.

There is no procedure for discovering which airports are subject to this nonsense - other than by contacting them and asking them. Shoreham has the matrix on its website.

But if you just email the GAR to the ncu@ address, for every foreign flight, there and back, that takes care of all of these potential extras.

The new website which does online GAR form filing will also handle this transparently.

Administrator

You will find that this kind of 'private' agreement isn't limited to the UK. One airfield I know that has some very specific rules is LEJU, La Juliana in Spain. Reason being that it's been used by drug runners a few times too often.... (btw, it has neither customs nor immigration).

ignore the fact that Switzerland ..... basically do not operate the Schengen treaty for anybody travelling via a "vehicle

In what way?

Swiss customs ask you for goods to declare, which is because of the lack of a customs treaty with the EU. Normally, you are not asked for paper ident, however the border police have the right to do so, even between Schengen states and also outside the border stations.

I do travel a lot between germany and Switzerland and have not had to show my ID since we joined Schengen. The only time I was asked to produce my ID was in Germany coming from Switzerland. At the same airport (using GA as method of travel) the whole baggage was demonstratively distributed on the apron and we were thoroughly searched.

If you arrive at ZRH airport from a Schengen country or depart for one, you do not pass passport control but you do pass customs.

Likewise, you are not allowed to travel to most Swiss GA airports from outside the Schengen aera but need to use an airport with non-schengen facilities e.g. for entry/exit to/from the UK.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Can you fly into say Wangen-Lachen, from within Schengen?

Administrator

Yes Wangen Lachen has got customs for entry from Schengen states. But no immigration from the UK, or other non Schengen states like Croatia, Norway e.t.c.

Non Schengen airports of entry in Switzerland are: Zurich, Altenrhein, Samedan, Bern, Grenchen, Geneva and Sion (and Basle if you count that as a Swiss airport). So if you come directly from the UK or depart to the UK, that is your choice.

You can however fly to most other airports (respecting their local procedures, PPR e.t.c. for customs) from inside Schengen states.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message