Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

Stunning imagery. I like the understated title, EGKA-EGKA via the Alps

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks.

It was quite funny telling ATC what the route was. The first time it “sunk in” was in Switzerland whey they finally realised what it was about

There are some still pics at the end of the video.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

I like the understated title, EGKA-EGKA via the Alps

Could not see why EGKA ATC can’t just say “cleared to destination”, they own that ATZ after all

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 07:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The “cleared to [destination]” is specifically no longer allowed in the UK, as of a few years ago.

Somebody realised this worldwide ritual form of departure clearance could make somebody think they are actually cleared to [destination] when they most definitely are not especially in the UK system.

That said, I got “cleared to EGKA” from the Scilly Isles in Sep 2020. I guess they are far enough away to not get CAA guidance

Administrator

What a crazy trip! Thanks for the report! But how did you manage not to find the Eiger? It’s just so close to the Jungfraujoch, just a bit east on the north side. That big mountain wall (Eigernordwand) cannot be overseen.

Peter wrote:

Somebody realised this worldwide ritual form of departure clearance could make somebody think they are actually cleared to [destination] when they most definitely are not especially in the UK system.
There are some countries how tell you this “cleared to” also when flying VFR-only. Croatia is one of those, but also in Norway and Poland I had “cleared flightplan route” on my VFR flights with FLP.
Last Edited by Frans at 29 Mar 09:34
Switzerland

I made a user waypoint for Jungfrau – see pic above.

But even then what I got wrong was that it was the peak before the one I thought it was, but because I was flying the right track to it, I flew over the top of it anyway. These mountains are very close.

But also I had Swiss ATC pressing me to fly into the mountains, which was a distraction. Some of the audio of my own commentary (talking to myself) at that point has been edited out, and same with some other commentary in other parts of the flight I got beaten up by a load of NATS employees on FB a while ago for less than great comments on UK ATC practices in another video.

I had a printout of a piece of a chart showing the three and from that I estimated the bearings, after I flew over what I thought was Jungfrau

Yes, of course you are right, it is easy if you are a “local” You probably skied down one of them

Anyway, a great flight and all worked out well. I should have flown over Finsteraarhorn.

Most of the rest of UK GA is still debating on the GA chat sites the govt “guidance” on when they can start flying, and whether the wearing of yellow underpants is legal or not

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The “cleared to [destination]” is specifically no longer allowed in the UK, as of a few years ago.

Not to disrupt the excellent trip report, but do you have a source for this? It is by far and away the most common clearance we get in the the UK… “Cleared to XXXX via the ABC1A departure, climb FL60, squawk 1234”.

United Kingdom

I clearly recall reading it in a CAA document a few years ago, but no idea where to find it, or whether it is current.

It is very possible it was one of many cock and bull ideas which got abandoned.

Administrator

Pirho wrote:

It is by far and away the most common clearance we get in the the UK… “Cleared to XXXX via the ABC1A departure, climb FL60, squawk 1234”.

Where did you hear that? Tried to find it in the CAS join recordings I hear on Youtube, no luck.
Or is it for a 777 at a stand in Heathrow? That is a different world…

EGTR

Peter, what a terrific adventure. Congratulations.

BTW – the video does capture the Jungfraujoch restaurant – at the point where you have the pointer at the joch, it is just further along (ie away from you) in the middle of the snowy ridge before it starts climbing again as a rocky ridge to the next peak.

I once invited a guy visiting from California to come for a spin around the alps. Took him down to the aeroclub and stuffed him reluctantly in the front seat of a 100hp piper cub. We flew right through the Jungfraujoch at about 100 ft above the restaurant and gave all the Japanese tourists a friendly wave, and then down the Jungfrau glacier. When we got back he looked a bit green around the gills, it turns out it wasnt his idea of a spin around the alps – his usual ride he told me was in the back of a G5.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message