Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to Ibiza LEIB feasibility

AENA may wish to start prioritizing other safety/security issues, like preventing folks from entering the platform and start painting aircraft, especially in Ibiza. OK, I admit that I’m prejudiced and too critical whenever the word ‘AENA’ appears

A nice example. When at LERS I taxied the DA42 to the service centre. That’s behind a gate. While passing the gate I saw it close on me. Nothing I could do to prevent it bumping into my left wing tip. Went out and saw a small written note on the gate saying something like “be careful, gate not working properly, wind may move it”. Not readable unless standing next to it, so not sure why they even bothered to put this on..

Went to the airport management. They were very understanding so I supposed they would cover the damage. Two weeks later a letter from AENA Madrid came, declining any kind of responsibility from their part. Clearly the message was: “this guy is not going to spend thousands in lawyers fees and years in battling us”. And they were right of course. You can call me a quitter but I pick my battles..

Last Edited by aart at 19 Sep 16:30
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

So I made it to Ibiza.

Landed 20 minutes earlier than our slot, currently Ibiza is PPR – so you need a slot. Flew in IFR no issues, was vectored for 6 miles behind a Ryanair B738. Didn’t realise either that with the wind coming over the hills to the right it was ridiculously bumpy.

I put the cones out and AENA turned up, the gent in the Follow me vehicle called the fuel for me and a few times checked on us. We waited about 1hr for JetA1. We was 3rd in the queue at the GA ramp, I presume this is normal because we didn’t have handler to do for us.

AENA did say it’s slow because I didn’t go proper handler.

Anyway Iberia was fairly good to be fair, despite not seeing my email receipt of payment of Servicio De accompaniento. After 4 phone calls and Iberia querying with AENA, we got a man in a van in 10 minutes to take us to the terminal. Not bad considering but coming back should be a simple case of security then to the aircraft.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Well done. Still, waiting on a hot ramp for one hour fuel…not for me. One would have think how much one hour of one‘s short vacation in Ibiza is worth in money…. quite a bit for me. Anyway, even with a proper handler, it does not ensure getting swift fuel service in Spain. Let‘s us know the final invoice amount(s) when all is said and done please.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes I thought I’d update you all anyway. I probably would agree with you, so I sat on the floor under the wing. I guess mid summer with kids and family this isn’t ideal but the point is, it’s probably fine if you understand that for JetA1 there always be a queue. Handler or el cheapo.

Avgas is self Refuel the AENA guy said.

EGSG, United Kingdom

For your return just to make sure you know that this is the way to
pay landing fees

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Hi Robbie, sounds like you’re making it work.
Good for you. Hope you have a great stay.
We may consider Ibiza next year so am interested in the details of your trip.
Have fun.

United Kingdom

@aart I will send them an email in the morning of departure to request that. Link previously provided in this thread

@GA_Pete Yes so far so good. Its caused no issues so far, other than the fact I was in a queue for JetA1 – It hasnt gone too badly to plan.. I shall do a full write up.

EGSG, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Anyway, even with a proper handler, it does not ensure getting swift fuel service in Spain.

Handler or no handler, waiting for the fuel is to be expected, especially if you use same fuel (Jet A1) as big iron and especially at places like Ibiza.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

…and especially in summer

Antonio
LESB, Spain

So I managed to do Ibiza Airport for a total of £75, IFR with Iberia – both ways. An absolute steal.

Other than the 1hr wait airside for refuel, the process was smooth.

https://airports.euroga.org/record.php?id=1489

I will post a more in depth review soon of how to get IFR slots very easily (I seem to have nailed the format which seems to work and is easily adaptable) along with what process I took, but most of the information was available here. (Thanks all for your help – @Antonio especially)

JetA1 was also decent priced at 139.98 EUR for 73 litres.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 29 Sep 07:46
EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message