Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Photos taken on local flights to the north of Frankfurt

10 Posts

Nothing foo fancy here right now obviosuly, but still, a few flying photos of the Frankfurt area in spring time, taken on flights on the past two weekends.

To be honest, whilst I my dosing cross-countries and trips obviously, I have to say I quie enjoy doing these little A-A sightseeting flights at the moment. Just pick an area within 30 minutes of flying time the you really haven’t checkout much before, plan a little triangle or so (with a few airstrips or villages as waypoints) and just enjoy the flying, without having to think about destination arrangements, PPRs, transport, accomodation, etc.

Also, I am really liking the Cherokee 180. The O-360 engine on this one is the smoothest 4-cylinder one I have flown behinf for a long time. And handling is just good. Simple, straight forward, benign. Almost a bit boring, but that’s fine.

Both flights were out of Mainz (EDFZ). The first was to the northeast.

First off all, and it never get’s old, Mainz.

Kelkheim am Taunus.

On of the higher peaks of the Taunus (not the Feldberg).

Bad Homburg

Below is the river Nidda, in the beautiful countryside of Hessen.

The the very right, the town of Nidda. The local (gliding) airfield is in the center of the image.

Nidda.

The Nidddastausee and behind, the village of Schotten; one of the highest elevation ones in Hessen.

The Taufstein. At 2533 feet, it’s one of the higher peaks of Hessen.

Frankfurt.

Wiesbaden.

The beautiful town of Oberolm, just to the south of the circuit at Mainz.

The second one was more to the northwest of Frankfurt.

Just airborne, looking at the airfield.

Crossing the Rhine, northbound.

Countryside, just to the north of the Taunus.

The GFC500 doing the work.

Nastätten gliding airfield. Jan Brill took the Cheyenne into there are few years ago.

All it takes for a short local flight…

Preceeding north, approaching Montabaur.

The castle of Montabaur.

The beautiful town of Limburg an der Lahn.

Crossing the Rhine again, in the descent into Mainz.

I sure hope my next flight will be a nice cross-country to some other nice airfield again, albeit I guess within Germany only….

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Apr 10:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jealous! Thanks for posting though, keep it coming..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Very nice! As always, great photos!

Planning something similar for next week, incidentally also in a Cherokee 180. Do you really just put the phone with Skydemon in your lap? I’m new to using SD and still haven’t figured out how to best place the phone (Galaxy S8) inside the cockpit, so any pointers would be welcome.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I use “gecko” stickies to stick my nav-phone to the yoke.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

It happened to me to use SD on the Iphone only. It is enough for short quiet flights, when you look at it once in a while.

If I am alone, I put it on the passenger seat. If you have any kind of glove box/ cup holder/any holding place, put it there, in case of turbulence.

LFOU, France

The iphone on your lap is good only for short flights where you know it will be a calm one. Normally, I either keep the ipad on my upper leg (with a strap) or the iphone on one of those holders that you can attach to the windshield or side window. Yoke mounts don‘t really work for me as I fly so many different aircraft.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Yoke mounts don‘t really work for me as I fly so many different aircraft.

So do I. I use a yoke mount with a jointed fastener that attaches to the yoke shaft and “wraps” underneath the yoke to the front where på iPad is fastened. It takes a minute to set up, but it works well as it is possible to adjust at every joint.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I use a yoke mount with a jointed fastener that attaches to the yoke shaft and “wraps” underneath the yoke to the front

Ii you have a photo, would you care to share how that looks, also maybe what the solution is called/where to get it?

Nice pics @boscomantico

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 20 Apr 09:15

Rwy20 wrote:

Ii you have a photo, would you care to share how that looks, also maybe what the solution is called/where to get it?

It’s all made of RAM Mount parts. The actual mount consists of two parts:

RAM-B-121BU Yoke Clamp Base with Ball
RAP-B-200-2U Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm

…to which I have attached an iPad mini 5 holder:

RAM-B-202U Round Plate with Ball
RAM-HOL-AP20U EZ-Roll’r™ Cradle for Apple iPad mini 4 & 5

As you can see, there are three adjustable joints.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Apr 10:06
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thank you!

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message