Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Report: Crossing Alps to Aubenas Ardèche (LFHO)

I definitely understand your point Frans.
You managed it like a pro.

Balancing « something could happen » and « I can do it » isn’t easy.
When flying a friend (who had the work the next day) back from Quiberon to Paris, I kept wondering « how will she gets back to work the runway is blocked, the mag check is wrong, the engine is rough etc…. ». It kind of wasted the wonderful time we were having.
You the pilot have to think about everything, alone, make a decision, and bear the consequences.

LFOU, France

boscomantico wrote:

So even if you don’t have quite the time right now to do the full CBIR, I suggest you just get a few more lessons (say 5 hours or so) in with an FI or IRI. That, plus if you continue to practice occasionally, will make you safer for any situation where you might be faced with having to cloud break somewhere.
That’s a very good point. After this trip back in spring 2019, I did around 3 hours of basic instrument training, like “what to do when VFR into IMC” etc., and not specific for the IR-rating itself. I definitely want to do more this year!

Jujupilote wrote:
Balancing « something could happen » and « I can do it » isn’t easy. (…)
You the pilot have to think about everything, alone, make a decision, and bear the consequences.
Absolutely, I fully agree on both points! I always tell my passengers on cross-country flights, especially on multiple day trips, that there might be a (residual) risk of getting stuck at some airport. If they cannot bear the consequences, for example not be able to work on the next day, then they shouldn’t fly with me. This kind of “disclaimer” helps me a lot to stay in my pilot-role. In addition, I’m very lucky to have a boss how fully understands the importance of making safe decisions as a pilot, even when he was not at all familiar with GA before. So when I called up my boss with the message: “Sorry, I’m stuck in France, I can’t make it to the customer appointment” he was totally fine with that and I could just postpone my customer appointment to another day.
Last Edited by Frans at 08 Mar 20:38
Switzerland
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message