Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Important information about Le Touquet LFAT (FR-only at certain times)

See the top row in the AIP entry. It says

Horaires sauf indication contraire / Timetables unless otherwise specified AIP France : UTC HIV ; HOR ETE : – 1HR / UTC WIN ; SKED SUM : – 1HR

As discussed here previously, it is confusing. But bottom line is that as a consequence,

ETE : 0700 – 1130, 1300 – 1700. HIV : 0800 – 1230, 1330-1800

effectively means that in summer the break is between 12:30 ans 14:00 local time, and in winter the break is between 12:30 and 13:30 local time.

Sure enough, don‘t get confused about British vs. French time when going there…

That said, many many Brits fly there also during the break, and of course some do better and some do worse than average with the non-ATS flying procedures and French radio procedures. But in the end it always works out.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Mar 13:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m probably being very stupid but that part at the top of the AIP means nothing to me..

Obviously I can compute what UTC means, not sure what HIV means, I don’t know what HOR ETE means etc.

So for avoidance of doubt (and having to speak French) – If I aim to be there for 13:00z tomorrow, or later, I’ll be fine?

Thanks!

United Kingdom

many many Brits fly there also during the break

As many non-French people don’t speak French as Brits I think LFAT manages because almost everybody goes there for lunch so lunchtime is relatively quiet.

I phoned their tower a week or two ago to check the FR-only lunchtime (because I was running late) and they confirmed it. They didn’t say you can ignore it. I would not fly there (or anywhere) if it is FR-only.

If I aim to be there for 13:00z tomorrow, or later, I’ll be fine?

We are still in the winter. So after 1300Z you should be OK. Times in the AIP and notams are UTC, on airport websites they tend to be local time unless stated

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Al_Kee wrote:

Obviously I can compute what UTC means, not sure what HIV means, I don’t know what HOR ETE means etc.

The part before the slash is French, the part after it is English. Not that easy to understand when everything is in abbreviations.

So HIV, HOR and ETE are French abbreviations. I guess HIV = hiver and ETE = été (sic!). HOR = horaire?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Correct, AA.

because almost everybody goes there for lunch so lunchtime is relatively quiet.

It does remain relatively lively from my experience. Be it because people actually plan to do it or because people mess up the timing / don’t understand the AIP.
But again, some British pilots actually do a decent job with the French calls.

They didn’t say you can ignore it.

Of course they wouldn’t say such a phrase.

No, but you know what I meant… there are ways of wording it.

Obviously it is unlikely that during lunch all English speaking staff go home.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

So HIV, HOR and ETE are French abbreviations. I guess HIV = hiver and ETE = été (sic!). HOR = horaire?

Ah! I see it now, thank you!

United Kingdom

OK to add to the confusion, I thought i’d call the number in the AIP to double check ATC lunch breaks and was told 13:30 local – 14:30 local which is 12:30-13:30z.

The AIP states: WIN : 0800 – 1230, 1330-1800. So I guess it is in Zulu as Peter said but seems to contradict what boscomantico said above.. very puzzling.

So I can’t arrive at 1pm Z after all!

I’m chuckling at how complicated I am making this.

Last Edited by Al_Kee at 15 Mar 16:25
United Kingdom

Sorry, my bad. In winter, the rule says that the winter times are indicated in Zulu time. So 13:30-14:30 local it is.

I told you it is confusing.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Mar 17:03

Hehe no worries at all! Cheers

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message