Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sweden winter trip

Thanks a lot for the warm feedback :)

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

I’ve recently started ‘randonée skiing’ or ‘topptur ski’ in Norwegian. So far we have been in the fjord region, close to Andalsnes

I’ve been around! A very scenic area, well suited for alpine touring skis. Lots of steep slopes. And I think Måssvassbu must be my favourite mountain cabin! This is from Jan 1, 2009:

Jujupilote wrote:

What can I say : marry her, she’s the one

Hahah! I’ve been looking for quite long and had my failures … Long story short, I think you are 100% right!

highflyer wrote:

Could you give a few numbers about the Avgas-prices at your home and in Sweden?

I am paying 9,87 PLN at Katowice EPKM and Västervik ESSW charges 23,00 SEK. Optand ESNM 24,50 SEK. All possible taxes included. In some places you can get AVGAS at 9 PLN in Poland… which I think is, anyway, very expensive. I remember in Belgrade Avgas was cheaper than car petrol in Katowice at the time…

Last Edited by Mateusz at 20 Apr 12:59
EPKM, Poland

Mateusz wrote:

but given the cost of Avgas to get to Sweden and return home,

A very nice report, which also shows a little insight into the private. Could you give a few numbers about the Avgas-prices at your home and in Sweden?

Berlin, Germany

Thanks for the trip report ! I’ve recently started ‘randonée skiing’ or ‘topptur ski’ in Norwegian. So far we have been in the fjord region, close to Andalsnes, in the Lofoten in in Trondheim area.
When the travel restrictions will be lifted, you want you could try the fjord region, there the season last until beginning of July, and you get views on mountains and fjords which are really nice! One possible airfield in this area is Vinnu, but short, 600m in grass. Otherwise you have Molde or Ålesund.

ENVA, Norway

Thanks a lot for this long report and exotic pictures (for us).
2 legs + 500km drive one way to ski, wow !
What can I say : marry her, she’s the one

LFOU, France

Thanks Mateusz – an amazing trip and comprehensive write up. Also a good advert for the amount of stuff you can fit in a Bonanza The Saab was a bonus.

Sometimes holding the controls helps with motion sickness – either the feeling of being in control, or being distracted, or just holding something.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

One is to fly a twin

You mean slow & heavy (just a jalouse SEP pilot who could not resist )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@gallois ginger biscuits also work

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I loved your “can do” attitude laced with caution.
There are 2 ways I have found to ease my wife’s stomach in turbulence. One is to fly a twin, the other, perhaps more practical are wrist bands with a button which sits on the veins. Don’t know why it works or how but they seem to work even at sea, and I can get mal de mer when still in port.

France
Nice trip and good example that you can do a lot even with VFR ..
EETU, Estonia

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter wrote:

Was it all “cross country” skiing, with no ski lifts? If so, you are both pretty tough

No lifts. Going uphill on skis can be pretty exhausting, but as with other activities requiring physical fitness, you just make your body used to it gradually and then, after a year or two, it stops to be a “problem”. Unless at altitude and/or following too ambitious a plan… Of course being generally fit helps – but that’s almost always the case in life ;) Note that many people would say anyone that flies and lands a small aeroplane (with one engine! – imagine that!) must be tough … and reckless not to wear their parachute all the time! :).

Airborne_Again wrote:

Unfortunate that ESUT didn’t work out for you. I’m a bit surprised. I’ve only flown there once, three years or so ago, but at that time the airport staff were very accomodating.

Johannes of Östersund Flygklubb had very similar recollections and encouraged me to fly all the way to the north. The staff told me to keep to NOTAMed AFIS operating hours to avoid the surcharge, but perhaps they just couldn’t offer any other answer in writing. Anyway, I was ready to adjust to the scheduled traffic “windows” and the main factor in my decision not to fly there was the general weather trend prevailing at the time.

Before the trip I had seen your post on the four-day trek and having a lot of time to think driving up to Hemavan, I was pondering on general trip logistics… Sometimes you have a trip idea and then use your flexibility to find an opportunity to go there (I mean wait for the right weather and/or until you can afford taking a break from your work)… but sometimes you have a specific time span/opportunity – and then you need to use your flexibility to decide what to do with it, and how (I mean fly North, West, South … or maybe drive, if the weather is too bad)… This trip was done rather in the latter circumstances… No conclusions here, just pondering :) Anyway, my experience so far is that flexibility is absolutely critical if you want to fly anywhere GA….

Last Edited by Mateusz at 19 Apr 08:41
EPKM, Poland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message