Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip Report: Oxford EGTK to Bremen EDDW, IFR in a PA32

Pirho wrote:

I don’t know what plates you are/were using but normally this is annotated somewhere, ie:

Jeppesen has very prominent boxes about this on their SID plates.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Alpha_Floor thank you for the write up, my IT tends to be a bit out of date so it struggled loading the high resolution photos! Perhaps we need a filter to load photos that are less weighty :)

I think the ferry pilot technique is to switch tanks at first indication of fuel flow fluctuation, not completely dry. Also in an unfamiliar aircraft with bladder tanks (I think the Six has integrated wing tanks so may not apply) you don’t know what bits of detritus might end up downstream despite fuel filters. Most GA bladder tanks are kept on condition, despite SB time in service recommendations, and are probably shedding material.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Best way is to batch downsize pics to 924 pixels wide. 925 may be the actual max, above which the server downsizes them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

London Control gave me a direct to Brookman’s Park BPK.

I expect he saw you were SEP and L179 to CPT took you over London? SET might not be given a route change but I think there are minimum FL for an SEP over central London. Probably FL130?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Brilliant trip, glad it worked out !

I doubt UK ATC notice you fly SEP, or look at FPL level or route, you get some crazy directs,
vectors and levels on first contact, they give vectors over London and climb to FL230 in C172, up to PIC to take it: one can’t fly that high in NA SEP, one can’t say NO to the nice views, after all it’s on takeoff climb & descent to land

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Apr 08:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Were you really cleared to 230 in a 172 ???

That would end up in the ATC anthology

LFOU, France

Either brain fart? or LTMA controller don’t check FPL routes, levels, types (or just “don’t get FPL”)? maybe one need to add aircraft type & callsign to help

If you want to spoil the party: say negative to overflying built up areas, or refuse to descend low, refuse long channel crossing to France

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Apr 09:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Alpha_Floor wrote:

when an older couple aggressively shouted at me for not wearing a bloody mask.

You are right, as a German I can confirm your experience. We also have many denunciators. I am ashamed of it.
I would not dare to empty the tank, the engine could go out and not start again.

Berlin, Germany

Pirho wrote:

Regarding the immediate change to Radar on departure, I don’t know what plates you are/were using but normally this is annotated somewhere, ie:
Hello Pirho! Yes, I was using the Jepp plates which clearly mentioned one should switch to Radar after take-off. I think the controllers could tell you with the departure clearance something like “EEL9K, climb to 4000, squawk 1117, departure frequency is Bremen Radar 124.800” :)
Emir wrote:
I’m glad you made it!
Thanks Emir! Now looking forward to your trip to Tenerife!
airways wrote:
Extra points for the Troy McClure reference
Hehehe, it only took 3 messages for someone to notice, well done!
aart wrote:
Yes, in particular invaders from the country that you are originally from
If only the invaders had airplanes! hehe
boscomantico wrote:
I would like to find out the policy behind this.
Please do share if you find out. The email they gave me to direct my complaints was: [email protected]
MedEwok wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Bremen is generally a nice place to visit (outside Covid-times) and the airport is quite a lot closer to the city centre than with most cities of this size.

EDIT: Did you touch the nose of the donkey when standing in front of the statue of the Bremen Town Musicians? That’s supposed to be a good luck charm (hence the discoloured spot on the statue)

I did like Bremen, it’s a nice little town. Just a pity everything was closed, but that’s the same everywhere else. Airport is only 10 minutes from the city centre by tram. I did not touch the donkey for fear of someone appearing from around a corner and shouting: VERBOTEN! or something like that! hahaha
Peter wrote:
You have more balls than me to run a tank dry, even though SEP certification requirements state that the engine must restart within something like 10 seconds. Did you have the fuel pump running during this?
Yes, I left it on over the water and then some minutes before the tank run dry. I also wanted to experience what running a tank dry was actually like. Next time I need to do it, it won’t be so scary. :)
RobertL18C wrote:
I think the ferry pilot technique is to switch tanks at first indication of fuel flow fluctuation, not completely dry.
Hey Robert! Yes you must be right, the first hint of the impending exhaustion was the fuel flow shooting up to infinity. I was looking at the RPM rather than fuel flow, but the video clearly shows that the fuel flow started to creep up seconds before.
RobertL18C wrote:
I expect he saw you were SEP and L179 to CPT took you over London? SET might not be given a route change but I think there are minimum FL for an SEP over central London. Probably FL130?
I have no idea. But it would have been nice to fly over London to take some better photos of the city and Heathrow. The ones I could shoot from the distance were useless.
EDDW, Germany

On the topic of fuel consumption:

With a 55% power economy cruise, the aircraft will do a TAS of 130kt at FL100. This is 240 km/h.
At this power setting, it will burn 12 USG/h or 46 L/h. Converted to “car metrics”, this is 19 L/100km.

My “modern” 1999 Mercedes W202 C180, with a 1.8L 4 cylinder petrol engine, burns about 8 L/100km cruising at 120 km/h. So with this old Cherokee Six you get 2.4 times the fuel burn but also 2 times the speed.

I thought it could be much worse.

Now here’s the caveat: Avgas 100LL is much more expensive than normal 95 octane petrol.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 24 Apr 12:10
EDDW, Germany
Sign in to add your message