Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belgrade Serbia, best large airport I've been to

I usually always have something to criticize but yesterday I made an outstanding experience landing at LYBE, Belgrade Serbia. It is a very big airport, about as big as a single runway airport can get.

Landing requires prior permission as per NOTAM but it was given in two instances via email within just a few hours. For technical landings, the handling + landing fees for a 1.4t aircraft are 29€, for a normal landing twice this amount. Parking overnight is something like 1.5€ per ton. Avgas is available from a bowser truck and when departing Serbia, it costs 1.15€ per liter (heaven!). All fees can be paid via credit card at your aircraft, you don't have to go anywhere at all. So to summarize, there is everything you need as GA and the price is highly attractive but there is more to it that makes it outstanding:

• the approach was very GA friendly, I was right in the middle of a longer sequence of airliners and they constantly kept adjusting everybody's speed so that the sequence could be maintained, asking me for a long landing. Most bigger airports get GA out of the way until the approach is totally empty which can take a long time during rush hour
  • everything was radar vectored, no lengthy standard arrival/departures like in most other airports in this part of Europe
  • the handling and ground staff was very friendly and service oriented with very good English skills
  • there is a very nice GAT with bathrooms, internet, drinks, transfer from/to is included in the fees
  • everything (including GAT) is in the transit zone, so you don't have to pass immigration/customs
  • it was no problem to get some extra Avgas filled in jerry cans
  • even though it was rush hour, we got an immediate startup/taxi clearance and were squeezed in for an intersection takeoff without any delays while at the same time there were at least a dozen airliners moving on the taxiways

I can only recommend this airport. Even though we only spent 45 minutes there, Belgrade did look very nice from the air and is probably also a good destination.

Yeah, our neighbors are very GA friendly and Belgrade is definitely place to visit. It's quite large city (for our region) - over 2 milion people. GA terminal is great, people there are always fiendly and willing to help. I'm often there and they address me "captain" which always draws out smile of proud on my face - nowhere else small GA plane PIC is called "captain" in my experience.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Well, in Italy, they will (always, 100%) call you "Commandante".

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Regarding Belgrade: I've heard that the aviation museum next to the airport is excellent, with some very rare planes. And pieces of F117 :-) ...

Unfortunately didn't yet find the time to go there myself.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Very interesting to hear this good informations from Belgrad. It would be nice to get some pictures from there as well from the city, which is almost the reason for a flight. What is the distance to the city centre, how to get there ?

Berlin, Germany

I've heard that the aviation museum next to the airport is excellent

The museum is must see.

What is the distance to the city centre, how to get there ?

Approx 10-15 km, by taxi - it's quite cheap, around 10€.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Well, in Italy, they will (always, 100%) call you "Commandante".

Maybe in Italian but speaking English nobody called "captain" :( Bologna, Verona, Torino, Milano. Maybe I have to go further south

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I fully agree. We were in Belgrade twice in 2011, VFR, the airport is a total pleasure.

Some pics from then:

Landing RWY 30, they asked us to land so we could leave next to the terminal.

Taxi along the terminal

On the GAC Apron. Fuel truck and Traffic agent came to the airplane and we could pay everyting right there. 30 Euros landing and very cheap fuel.

On the return trip I asked for a "practice ILS30 via BOGGY" which cut 20 NM off my VFR route and they were delighted to give it to me. When asked to maintain high speed, I kept 150 kts until about 4 NM final, which got a "thank you very much" out of the controller. No problem with the Mooney on a 3km runway :) The approach is very scenic.

Recreational area in the river.

Anytime again with pleasure.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message