Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to France to Ireland (EIKK) - direct with GAR possible?

If you could operate in 450m there is a strip over the boundary from Kilkenny. If you need longer I would go to Waterford or Kilrush and hire a car. I have corporate rates with Enterprise and can help with that if you want.

Pm if you wish to chat, I have more that I could say off air.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

boscomantico wrote:

Exactly what I said. And same applies to the UK.

PPR is not a legal / regulatory requirement in the UK.

Many/most UK airfields impose it because they think it is a requirement, or they think it’s a good idea, or both. The issue arises from the wording in an ordinary aerodrome licence about licensing for use by the operator and people who have the permission of the operator. Those who like to interpret things in the most restrictive way possible (most people in aviation) take this to mean that each and every use must be approved in advance by a phone call, email or suchlike. Those with a bit more grey matter recognise that the requirement can also be met by simply declaring “all welcome”.

There are some UK airfields that don’t require PPR. Sandown, Popham and Fenland are three that I’m aware of, with the latter being licensed. Until not that long ago Gloucester (which is a proper airport with a long runway, ATC and an ILS) didn’t require PPR – it came in with a change of management. @Ibra mentioned Duxford and Lee-on-Solent, but I’m pretty sure they do require PPR.

EGLM & EGTN

mentioned Duxford and Lee-on-Solent, but I’m pretty sure they do require PPR.

What I meant is you can land without ome if you simply leave a voice mail or email and they did not answer, you will not get crucified on radio for “lack of PPR” or “strict PPR”

There are some UK airfields that don’t require PPR. Sandown, Popham and Fenland are three that I’m aware of

I did not know about Popham, learning something new everyday

+ Sherburn, Pitsford to that list and that’s all in the whole country, of course, there are those who simply accept “serious FPL” like Biggin or accomodate RT call like North Weald

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Aug 11:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Okay, everything is sorted out. We will go to Kilkenny next week if the weather finally permits. Thank‘s for your help guys.

EDDS , Germany

We have had a nice trip to Kilkenny. Immigration at LFRQ in and out was easy going. I wrote the email with all data and it was confirmed within minutes. Nobody was on the field when we went off and when we came back. Same wit the GAR for Ireland and the arrival at Kilkenny. Also there we met many friendly people. The field is normally used only for the skydivers and the reason behind is understandable, because they are up in the air all the time. But we where welcome and spend a lovely time there at the arts festival.

EDDS , Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message