Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Report: Flying VFR on summer vacation to Norway

Frans wrote:

Norwegian citizens only

Not quite, it is reserved for people with a bank account in Norway and a Norwegian phone number as far as I know…
You can live your life in Norway without any cash, that has been like this for almost a decade now, so almost nobody has any cash here…

ENVA, Norway

You must have a D-number (fødselsnummer), in order to register for Vipps. I tried to register several times. I guess only Norwegian citizens have such kind of number. Hopefully, the European Mobile Payment Systems Association (EMPSA) will soon come up with a European solution, so Vipps becomes compatible with Swish, MobilePay, TWINT, Bluecode etc. Since the beginning of that European project back in 2019, nothing has yet improved.

Last Edited by Frans at 23 Aug 09:27
Switzerland

Great report! I can concur with your assessment that Norway is not to be missed. My teenage son, who’s traveled with me on most of my trips, definitely gives it the highest score.

EHRD, Netherlands

Frans wrote:

You must have a D-number (fødselsnummer), in order to register for Vipps. I tried to register several times. I guess only Norwegian citizens have such kind of number.

Also residents in Norway have such a number, regardless of citizenship.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Terrific report and super helpful for up and coming trip. Thanks for taking so much time to post all that info. Super helpful. Jamie

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

One thing – you mentioned customs requirements for Torp were 1.5 hr from the AIP – I’ve searching the AIP and all it does is refer me back to its own website – I’m looking either on Foreflight or on the ais.avinor.no website – is there somewhere else to look? Thanks Frans

Jamie

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Glad you liked it Jamie (and also dutch_flyer of course)! Hope I can continue with the report by the end of today or tomorrow.

Unfortunately no, you can find those entries officially only on the Avinor AIS website. Select “Operational Hours” and scroll down to “Customs and immigration”. It’s also possible to activate an AD filter at the top, for example ENTO for Torp, so only opening hours of Torp are displayed. Note that this website only gives information about AIP entries, which are marked as “REF AIS Portal”. Other entries, for example Avgas 100LL availability, is not mentioned on the AIS website, as it is already in the AIP. I’m sorry if this stuff was confusing in the report before.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Also residents in Norway have such a number, regardless of citizenship.
Yes, you’re right of course. I guess it’s the same for all other national mobile payment solutions. Personally, I dearly hope that a European solution will follow soon. Paypal did also start with QR-code payments, but almost nobody is using it, due their absurd fees for both customers (horrible exchange rates) and businesses (high transaction fees).
Last Edited by Frans at 24 Aug 05:04
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

Paypal did also start with QR-code payments, but almost nobody is using it, due their absurd fees for both customers (horrible exchange rates) and businesses (high transaction fees).

Not to mention their business practices…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Wow, what a trip Frans! Basically an advert for Norway I especially liked the hiking photos on day 3.

Did you you have oxygen for the higher flights?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Thanks @Capitaine! Just see that I forgot to upload the last part of this trip… It should be on a USB-stick, when I did the writing on a family trip. Will hopefully do these days at home.

No, we didn’t use oxygen so far. Oximeter didn’t show anything below 95%. We’re both quite used to higher altitudes, for example during skiing or mountaineering. We also didn’t flew so much above 10.000 ft.

Last Edited by Frans at 11 Nov 20:18
Switzerland
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message