Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA Airport Kavala / Lydia LGKM in northern Greece by Egnatia Aviation

Is there a reason for this? It’s not a port of entry, so overloading the police force checking passports is not the reason

Zero competition clause to calm down other airports & airliners?

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 15:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I agree that’s huge effort but how they plan to grow to one of the largest GA fields if they can’t accept GA traffic except training flights. Knowing current Greek GA level, I don’t know who’ll be their customers.

Last Edited by Emir at 29 Mar 15:22
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don’t know. But let’s give them credit. To get the approvals, the funding and the managerial talent to reopen a closed military airfield as a very active GA airfield IN GREECE is a real accomplishment. I cant wait to visit later this year.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

It’s such a pity that Greece (which btw I have been very fond of, since 2004) somehow always manages to shoot itself in the foot at the end:

we are still growing and very soon we will be one of the biggest GA airport in Europe

Please note that, at the moment we can only accept private aircraft with no more than two persons on board including crew or three if the flight is for training purposes

Is there a reason for this? It’s not a port of entry, so overloading the police force checking passports is not the reason

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got a reply from Lydia. They are growing in capability rapidly since opening in January this year, but not yet a port of entry. See below:

Thank you very much for your interest flying to Kavala Lydia Aerodrome.
Lydia LGKM commenced its operation on January 3rd 2023, we are still growing and very soon we will be one of the biggest GA airport in Europe.
Unfortunately we are not an approved entry point for Greece, we expect to start accepting international flight during the second half of the year. Jet A1 should also be available during May 2023. It looks like we cannot help you with your requirement, but we will be very happy to welcome you if you decide to arrive for a visit. We can offer you a free landing till June 2023, should you decide to visit us. Please note that, at the moment we can only accept private aircraft with no more than two persons on board including crew or three if the flight is for training purposes

Thanks, I’m planning 3-4 days which should be around €100 with landing and no passengers. Plus €100 for PPR and slot, plus some €50 for handling and the rest. In total I’m expecting €250. Comparing to your €400 (which definitely isn’t cheap), maybe I’m too optimistic.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi Emir,
Skiathos in May (i.e. before most of the British TUI tourists come) is pretty nice. My last visit was in May 2018, and since then, the Fraport landing and parking fees have been reduced slightly.
Then, as always in Greece, the fees depend on a lot of factors (customs needed? no. of pax? no. of days?, IFR? etc.), but all in all, it is not cheap at all, but not extremely expensive either (as long as you get the AOPA handling tariffs). And the experience was smooth.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Mar 10:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As I understand from AIP, Skiathos LGSK is also port of entry, PPR is mandatory. Unfortunately they have only Jet A1 (lucky me), no avgas, so that limits possibilities for visiting. However, work schedule seems to be quite ok 0600-1800/1900. I’m planning a few days visit late April or early May. I’m waiting Fraport reply on fees – although they are published, I want to have written reply to avoid surprises.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes, I know that.

There was some talk last year that Lydia would also be a port of entry. If so that would be a real game changer for visits to Greece. From my conversation with them earlier they seemed to indicate it “might be possible to do something”.

I will report back on what I find out.

Ioanina LGIO is the normal “cheap” port of entry for Greece, but I am sure you already knew that

Kithira LGKC is also a port of entry from schengen countries only which usefully now includes Croatia, but has no fuel. It is also well out of the way in this case.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message