Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip advice (for a ascension extended weekend trip)

Yes NOTAMS

where do you get your 24hr PPR for Caen from?

I was also told that near IAF while in clouds that training flights need PPR as well (2×FPL back to back and I was not planning to land), there was no restriction in NOTAMS about IFR training neither, for the fun, Havre & Deauville IAP are now closed for IFR without ATC, even when you are not landing…

In case, you have not been flying in the area recently, be aware, that Deauville is also closed to VFR training, IFR training and NVFR diversions outside specified hours now, I still view it as good alternate in case of justified need (reason for closure has nothing to do with state of runway or availability of lights: no safety concern just pure bureaucracy)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 08:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

What about EBKT? i have always found the airport staff helpful and friendly.
The train station is an easy walk away and there are trains hourly or more frequently to Ypres.
The town itself is an easy walk from the Ypres rail station and much to see and do if First WW is of interest.

EGBM, United Kingdom

I think EBKT/LFOP are good alternatives to EBOS/LFRK if the coastal weather is foggy

Let me know if you are stopping or staying at Rouen, I can help with logistics

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 10:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Looking at the weather forecast, while Austria doesn’t look bad for the next 5 days, for sure the weather in Northern and Central France as well as Belgium/NL (and even most of England) is looking very very solid. Should be a nice long flying weekend for many of us!

Avoid Southern France and Central Italy! :-)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 May 07:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Looking at the weather forecast, while Austria doesn’t look bad for the next 5 days, for sure the weather in Northern and Central France as well as Belgium/NL (and even most of England) is looking very very solid. Should be a nice long flying weekend for many of us!

Avoid Southern France and Central Italy! :-)

Indeed! This time of year often brings nice flying weather in many parts of Europe.

Austria looks OK but we’re not convinced just yet, so we will decide tomorrow probably where we go after Koblenz. I just submitted a PPR request to Caen, it seems like a really nice destination too. It’s probably where we will end up unless the Alps would bring blue skies and gentle winds

Instead of Caen, I would also consider Deauville LFRG.

Last Edited by Arne at 17 May 14:37
ESMK, Sweden

I just got the PPR approval, however it required a phone call, it was initially denied. They have commercial traffic on Sunday morning, so initially we were only allowed to depart after 12:30Z. The guy answering the phone was very supportive though, and suggested that if we refuel on arrival and pay the fee’s, we could depart 08:00Z

Crazy these guys at LFRK…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Crazy these guys at LFRK…

Yes, it seems a bit surprising to not be so hard on restricting even private deportees.

So we have agreed on Caen as the destination, departing to Koblenz tomorrow and then Caen on Friday. I am looking at fuel and foo stop alternatives for the way back to Sweden on Sunday, and EDDG Muenster/Osnabrueck seems to be a good option. Hopefully they provide a bit of food too. Does anyone have any other options you would recommend?

Thanks again everyone for your advice, much appreciated!

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 17 May 18:29

EDWF Leer is better choice – cheap fuel, restaurant and low/zero landing fee if you take fuel

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message