Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports whose AIP and NOTAM data is bogus or tricky and additional briefing is required

Don’t thank me @lionel did all the work, I just made a few phone calls. But there is still a lot more to do to get all the answers and the right action taken.

France

FWIW I directly emailed all of the several French police email addresses regarding these questions, in English and French, and the airport desk, with a screenshot of the AIP, and nobody ever replied.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Which addresses did you email? The ones that are listed eg bse.at Bordeaux csi.for Annecy are douaniers (customs) not Police PEF. The trouble is if one confuses the two it becomes difficult to sort out where the problems and solutions lie.

France

The ones I listed here.

This thread should be merged with this one. It is basically the same stuff: worsening lack of transparency of officialdom. It doesn’t matter whether it is Annecy police telling people they must give them 24hr PN from Germany, or some handling agent on some Greek island charging you €50 to book a “slot” and another €50 if you want to move that slot by 1hr.

Administrator

The point I was trying to make is that it is not Annecy police or even the national PEF which appear to be making the necessity to PN
by the looks of it. It is the customs office. Those coming from Germany and Switzerland did not need the police. The addresses you have sent your emails to are douaniers who possibly have a close working relationship with the police to deal with the odd UK ga aircraft that turns up.
The 24 hours (time ) is set at regional level.
At La Rochelle, as I explained the PN whether 8hrs or 48hrs is set at regional level.
The PEF during published hours are present at La Rochelle and AFAICT the note on the wall is because they are in an office at the back and aren’t going.to hang around waiting for a pilot of an SEP and any passengers to be ready to see them. They have other duties they can be getting on with. One used to ring a bell but La Rochelle passenger terminal.has grown.over the last year and several new passenger services have been introduced, particularly by EasyJet.

France

At Annecy, the police perform both duties. Same in most countries.

Just got this, in reply to another email:

I don’t understand what he is saying. Informing the airport ops is exactly what they say one cannot do.

This is completely ridiculous – beyond a joke.

I will merge the two threads…

Administrator

@Peter it seems that no amount of information can persuade you that there is a difference between Police, Immigration/Border Force Police PEF and Customs. Your mind is already fixed on the subject..So why don’t we just end this thread here.

France

gallois wrote:

it seems that no amount of information can persuade you that there is a difference between Police, Immigration/Border Force Police PEF and Customs.

It appears to me, that these threads are coming up over and over again, and not only here.

So the concept of customs vs immigration vs third organisations, all of which require PPR or other bureaucratic b.s and which often enough don’t talk to each other (nor are they required to) and are in many cases people with two hats on (e.g. the police taking the role of immigration and customs) generates sufficient hassle, that those without a degree in international customs and immigration law simply throw the towel and stay the hell away.

Add to that inept entries into AIP’s, folks which have seen “Rien a déclarer” too many times and due to past experiences are spooked by customs and immigration anyhow….

The confusion and bureaucracy is definitely not something which helps GA. And it’s unfortunate, that GA is the one where the bureaucratic smash is easiest to impose… as nobody would accept this kind of rubbish on a road border.

And if we can see that quite a few of those hassles are because some jobsworths on airfields are incapable of interpreting or are explicitly imposing rules which are not in their competence to impose, then why is this not addressed?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Peter it seems that no amount of information can persuade you that there is a difference between Police, Immigration/Border Force Police PEF and Customs. Your mind is already fixed on the subject..So why don’t we just end this thread here.

Reductio ad absurdum.

You will be pleased to know that I know exactly what the difference is. The wires are just crossed.

I didn’t get those email addresses from ChatGPT. They were supplied to me by the LFLP authorities concerned with me flying UK → Annecy. I thus consider them as authorised for that purpose.

that these threads are coming up over and over again, and not only here.

Sadly, for real reasons: this hassle really gets in the way of flying across borders.

We already have a situation where pilots from country X will almost never fly to country Y. I will not post X and Y because it would serve no purpose and just p1ss people off, but it is real. They have told me personally, sometimes in connection with our fly-ins. Anyway, there are multiple pairs of X and Y.

And experienced pilots avoid this crap. That is normal; one of the advantages of experience is that you can avoid the crap in life, and obviously not only in flying.

So posting ways of avoiding crap at airport Z is valuable, so these threads are valuable. They probably p1ss off people who live in that country, but they are not worried anyway because they don’t deal with it. And if something pops up, they just speak their native language, and hey ho, the problems melt away

====

Two very similar threads merged.

Administrator

This time, the LFLP police/customs have replied with the opposite information:

Good morning,
Coming from a Schengen and EU country, you do not have 24 hours notice to communicate.
Cordially,
Michael REMAN

and this is how it should be!

Administrator
Sign in to add your message