Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice please : IFR flight Germany to Heraklion

I’m planning a flight in September out of Germany (EDRT Trier) to Crete/ Heraklion.
Any advice would be appreciated regarding
- refueling Avgas on the way (where?).
I can go 500 NM so I’ll need two stops.
- entering Greece (is a stop at customs mandatory before Heraklion ?) I read that even Schengen originated flights have to land at a customs airport.
- handling agent (required? ) and which one ?
- handling and Avgas seem to be hefty.
- accomodation at Heraklion for 1 or max 2 nights.
Thank you.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Have a good reading http://www.aopa.gr/Info

LFOU, France

Is that for vacation or a fun flying tour? You don‘t mention any other places where you‘d like to stay along way…
Asking because if it is just to get to Crete for a day or two, I would say best is to take an airliner.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

gildnn wrote:

I can go 500 NM so I’ll need two stops.

If it’s really 500 NM then you’ll definitely need 2 stops since DCT is almost 1200 NM.

- refueling Avgas on the way (where?).

I’d recommend Maribor LJMB as an easy start: some 400 NM from you, EU and Schengen, international airport (C & I available during airport working hours) with practically only GA traffic, easy and friendly, no PPR, efficient, avgas available, no PPR, you can make your stop less than 30 min if you want. As a second stop I’d choose Skopje LWSK: again easy and GA friendly place, international airport with not much traffic, contacting CAA is required for landing approval is required if you’re landing there first time (just send aircraft documentation and you get approval), cheap avgas, make sure you have some small euro-bills for paying avgas in cash (don’t expect exact change return). Regarding LGIR, you can fly directly there from LWSK because it’s port of entry but I’m not sure if they have avgas.

- entering Greece (is a stop at customs mandatory before Heraklion ?) I read that even Schengen originated flights have to land at a customs airport.

Heraklion is port of entry so no prior stop in Greece is needed.

- handling agent (required? ) and which one ?

I’m pretty sure it’s needed, I used one but I don’t remember which. Check AIP and send requests to all and then decide.

- handling and Avgas seem to be hefty.

Yes. If there’s no avgas on Crete (LGIR or LGSA) then you’ll need additional stop somewhere at Greek mainland (e.g. LGIO) but it’s still 300 NM from Crete, so it’s not feasible for you to go there and back with one tank.

- accomodation at Heraklion for 1 or max 2 nights.

Anything you find at Airbnb or Booking and you like it. I was there few years ago and who knows what has changed since.

BTW Crete is best explored by car and there are cheap options at the airport but if you’re there just 1-2 nights, I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

And finally, if you’re range is 500 NM, I wonder what’s your TAS. If it’s less than 150 kts then I’m not sure it’s easily achievable in one day because with two landings, stops and climbs, it’s realistically 12 hours or so.

Last Edited by Emir at 24 Jul 17:12
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Edit: AIP says avgas is available at LGIR by GISSCO but check with handlers prior to your flight to avoid any surprise.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

For Crete there is another great option: Sitia LGST. Port of entry and has avgas. I have a lot of Greek trip writeups here. Sitia is also a great base for flying around Greek islands, especially if you want to avoid the €400 Fraported airports.

Otherwise, the common port of entry for Greece is Ioanina LGIO; has avgas too.

Always check avgas availability, with a phone call of possible. Greece needs more planning than some places but has a huge advantage: they speak English

Iraklion/Heraklion is a pretty unpleasant city. I’ve been there. Filthy noisy and manic. One Greek said to me it is the worst city in Greece.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apologies for being late to thank all of you for the good advice.
My TAS btw is 160 kts.(Bonanza A36, LOP, ~12 GPH, FL 80)

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message