Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bolt Head - Dorset

I’ve been wanting to visit here for some time. There aren’t too many airfields in the west country, and even fewer that are within walking distance of a town.

Bolt Head is situated just south of Salcombe, with a 600m grass runway. The skydemon notes suggested the runway was in good condition, so I made a day trip with my mother to check the place out.

The flight was easy, VFR, just following the south coast and taking advantage of all the military danger areas being closed on the weekend. Nothing to report here other than the usual views of the Jurassic coast. Bournemouth radar were easy going as usual, heading along this way I tend to ask for a transit through the south west corner so I can route via Poole Harbour. Even if I don’t go though the airspace it means I don’t have to worry about infringing.

Arrival at Bolt Head confirmed the runway condition, it’s one of the best grass runways I’ve seen. Regularly mowed and smooth, and being on top of the headland it wasn’t at all wet or soft despite recent heavy rain.

Landing fee was £20, paid by cash in a little hut. No facilities to speak of, but given how well kept the airfield is this seems quite reasonable. There was supposed to be a portaloo somewhere but I didn’t find it, so no toilets.

The airfield adjoins a number of footpaths, with the most direct route to South Sands taking 20 minutes.

On a sunny day, a lot of places in Cornwall/Dorset etc.. don’t really resemble the UK.

There’s a ferry from South Sands to Salcombe which is accessed via this sea tractor, unfortunately I didn’t have time to try it. I’d like to return in summer and enjoy a longer day.

After lunch (scallops and salad at the Winking Prawn cafe – recommended) we walked up along the path around the cliffs.

This burned off about 1h30, and eventually we found our way across the fields, along the runway and back to the plane. It’s fun to just go through a gate off a footpath and hop in your plane, no taxis or hi vis or security or jobsworths in sight.

Bolt Head airfield specifies a massive no fly area, basically anywhere to the north of the airfield. Turns after departure will always be to the south away from Salcombe.

Some isolated showers and buildups enroute, but nothing threatening.

The famous Lulworth Cove

Corfe Castle

Poole Bay. Once I called up Bournemouth, the controller (same one as the outbound leg) asked if we wanted a transit as we had earlier, which was gladly accepted.

Sandbanks, the most expensive place to live in the UK.

Osborne House on Isle of Wight, where Queen Victoria died in 1901.

Final back to home base

United Kingdom

Nice trip, but, what is a sea tractor ?

IO390 wrote:

Some isolated showers

Nice pic! Should go on the random pics thread!

Last Edited by Antonio at 22 Oct 21:08
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Brilliant!

It’s a place I’ve often thought of visiting but never seemed to get around to.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The ‘Sea Tractor’ gets you from dry land to a water taxi. It’s used because then there isn’t a need for a Jetty. The water taxi runs from there to the beautiful town of Salcombe. Well worth a visit. It’s a beautiful place to visit by boat along the south coast too.

Ps. Nice write up, and pictures.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 23 Oct 11:51
United Kingdom

Nice

I usually avoid grass, but this looks too tropical and tempting.

IO390 wrote:

The famous Lulworth Cove

If you zoom in on your photo, you should see me somewhere in there

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message