Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alps Spezial

Nice one! How many days did this trip take?

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thank you very much guys!

@aart Agreed, there are different types of UL aircraft. I flew a G70 when getting the rating. The WT9 is quite different in terms of performance and features overall. For this tour specifically it was perfect. Well… more space for lugguage would have been nice though ;)

@Arun I find it surprisingly good what you can get out of action cameras these days. Of course the final image needs work, but a 190 MBit/s HEVC stream in 10 Bit with Labs firmware is an excellent starting point.

@UdoR Yes, I believe since a few iterations GoPro looks at the gyro sensor data for stabilization, before it gets recorded onto media. Imho this is the way to go, and resulting in this effect. It helps to convey what the aircraft is actually doing, similarly to having it on a gimbal.

@terbang 5 days incl. one day off ;)

Last Edited by ChrisR at 11 Feb 08:04
EDFE, Germany

Nice video – thanks for posting it

You can tweak the curves in any video editor. In the stills business it is usually called Blacks. In a video (I use Vegas 16) you just create a custom curve to increase contrast, but that over-does it at lower altitudes, so to do it properly you need an “animated” effect whereby the tweak changes from the max value to zero during a descent to an airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, just watched it… well, at the risk of parroting Peter, nice video.

Why the rush over the majestic Aletsch glacier, why so much airplane and so little mountains? Insipid music score and too much wobbly takes for my liking, but don’t fret, that’s only me
OTOH I know first hand the work involved in not only affixing and operating cams, but more so the chores of the editing work, congrats on that. Sure loved the intro

PS
What a pity having the sleek and pleasing lines of the WT9 marred by all these antennas sticking out in the breeze… would have thought the designer/builder using the advantage of plastic in hiding some.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Great video! I’m guessing it took more time to edit the video than to do all the flights!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@Peter Cheers! Also a calibrated monitor helps. With HDR things are even more complicated, but doable with e.g. a calibrated OLED TV.

@Dan All good, I did ask for feedback after all ;) The honest answer is 3 fold: 1. With so little maneuvering space available in the cockpit there are only a few angles that will not be blocked by air inlets or have tons of annoying reflections, and the outside perspective was simply cleaner most of the time. 2. Tribute to youtube and the typical attention span of many viewers, so some shots were shorter than they would have deserved. I do have all footage available, if there is interest on any specific scene I can cut and publish longer versions of these. 3. Free time, this is really only a hobby. I was hoping for this video not to get as long as the last one, but ended up with 8 minutes.. Regarding the Intro, well, it is an Alps Spezial after all :) where is the cow icon when i need it

@eurogaguest1980 Thanks! Absolutely. About a 6:1 ratio ;)

EDFE, Germany

Cool pictures. The colors seem indeed to be boosted, my cameras do this sometimes by themselves, but it looks nice! Next time also French Alps?

How did your pilot friend get this trip done with a ULM in Switzerland? Did your friend or the owner apply for the FOCA special permit? How much had to be paid in the end?

Last Edited by Frans at 11 Feb 11:26
Switzerland

Thanks Frans. I will need to ask the PIC, I wouldnt know. Honestly the whole paperwork with cross border UL is one of the reasons I usually prefer to fly ECHO class…

EDFE, Germany

@Frans. The permit is about 200 Swiss bugs per calendar year and a little bit of paperwork. But worth it….

Dennis

Germany

ChrisR wrote:

The WT9 with Rotax 915 iS was more than up for the task, and showed really nice performance even at high altitude.

Hey, that plane looks familiar ;-). Very nice video!

Germany
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message