Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sight-seeing trip to France - any tips or recommendations?

Yes that part. And yes what he also writes is also misleading and incorrect and does not at all match the regs or my personal first hand experience.

ELLX, Luxembourg

We’ve done this before…

misleading and incorrect

Hazek must be flying in a parallel version of France.

and does not at all match the regs

That’s true, but in France that’s OK. Lots of countries do nonstandard stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes we’ve been over this. You’re just flat wrong. Anyone who listens to you does so at their own peril.

ELLX, Luxembourg

@RdJ did you mention whether you are flying IFR or VFR?
I think I have flown in France more often than most on here so if you have any specific questions about clearances into CAS or anything like that, I would be happy to answer them.
The first thing to realise is that you have no need to worry. Just speak to the individual SIVs and they will help you. In English. I realise some have a problem with the accent but “say again xxx” or “répetez xxx s’il vous plait” works wonders. Numbers will be a problem in French especially those in the 70’s and 90’s.
Use of the word clearance is rare except for landing and take off. You tend to just get a transponder code when entering CAS and a “report entering” or leaving or whatever. It’s all pretty obvious if you don’t put up blocks if it’s not something you are used to.
You do need clearance to enter CAS but as long as you are clear who you are where you are from and going to and what you want to do it isn’t usually a problem. (AS MENTIONED YOU WILL RARELY HEAR THE WORD CLEARED) Read back (collationer) is important where needed. But do remember you are not the only plane in the air and some ATCOs are working several frequencies and telephones. They want to give an instruction and move on.
Most of all “don’t worry, be happy”

Last Edited by gallois at 15 Mar 16:33
France

gallois wrote:

Use of the word clearance is rare except for landing and take off. You tend to just get a transponder code when entering CAS and a “report entering” or leaving or whatever. It’s all pretty obvious if you don’t put up blocks if it’s not something you are used to.

I think this is where Peter and hazek probably are looking at the same thing and seeing it in different ways.

It’s precovid since I last flew of any significance in France. But my experience then, was as you described. You could call that implicit because unlike many other places, you do not get a very specific “Cleared to enter”. So in that sense it is implicit.

But it’s not like the American class C, where it’s basically assumed you can go in. The French tend to operate more of a “report xx” or “position for downwind” and you couldn’t do this without entering controlled airspace. So the ATC sees it that this instruction has to be issued, otherwise you can’t go in. So in that sense it’s not implicit. The controller must tell you something that makes it obvious that you can go in, even if they don’t clear you.

So it probably comes down to what you mean by the word “Implicit” and I think Peter and Hazek mean different things by it.
I think if they were both to use examples, they’d probably agree

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Then why do I always get “transit approved, report xyz next”? You must have a clearance to enter CAS, you just do. There are many different words thay ATC uses for this purposes but you must hear this. And no just getting a squawk is not it.

But hey look, I was in French class C, VFR I might add, and I did hear another VFR on the frequency totally disregarding the fact that they’re in class C and what that means and ATC was very gentle with them. I couldn’t believe it actually.. So just because you get away with some incorrect stuff because ATC just doesn’t want the trouble to write a report about another geezer doing whatever in CAS doesn’t make it correct.

Like I said, call ahead on freq., ask for transit, follow the regs and you won’t have any issues in France.

ELLX, Luxembourg

You must have a clearance to enter CAS,

Taking that statement at face value – rubbish. You don’t need a clearance to enter Class E, per ICAO. In the US, you don’t need an explicit clearance for C or D either, “two way communication” is sufficient, i.e. you call them and they call back with your call sign. For Class B it’s different and you MUST hear the magic words “cleared into Class B”. I’ve never heard that in France (for C, D or E I mean, since there is no B). You call up and say something like “request clearance ZOGGO” and they say something that implies they’re happy with that. But not “cleared into Class XXX”.

LFMD, France

@hazek “transit approved” is okay but it is actually to be pedantic, an implicit clearance as the word for cleared would be “authorizee”. Aviation phraseology changes regularly and.whether it was ICAO or EASA I can’t remember ATCOs were advised/asked to limit their use of the word “cleared.”
That would not really have changed French phraseology but it was decided to advise that “authorizee” is also limited. But in the phraseology booklets they still talk about needing a clearance whilst giving example dialogue in which the word “cleared” is not used.
Here is the 2023 phraseology booklet.
Manuel_Phras_C3_A9ologie_2023_pdf
Naturally it can’t cover every eventuality and concentrates more on what has changed.

France

johnh wrote:

Taking that statement at face value – rubbish.

Yes, technically CAS class E for VFR does not require clearance. You are correct. But why would I mean CAS for IFR when we’re talking about VFR and VFR is not controlled in class E? Obviously I meant CAS class B, C and D.

ELLX, Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message