Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sight-seeing trip to France - any tips or recommendations?

Two comments from me.

French only airfields:
If you can speak a small bit of French, or even just a crib sheet, and the place you want to go is a French only airfield, it’s worth calling up the airfield to discuss. I’ve had in the past, where the airfield said that they could allow English but only when certain FISOs were on duty and they told me when that would be.
Also, if you can visit on a week day, often there will be no traffic at all. You’ll be talking to yourself. Not guaranteed, so have a backup plan, but many might be accessible under such circumstances. I’ve visited a number of French only airfields with only a small bit of French and generally the smaller ones have virtually no traffic during the week. (Not guaranteed!)

If you are flying at relatively low levels, give EasyVFR a try. It will give show you some things that you might like to see along your route that you’d otherwise miss. (Scenic Sights). Not so relevant if your flying might higher than 2K feet and don’t want to drop down for some photos.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ah EasyVFR sounds like a great tip.
I have never heard about it before acutally, but I will definitely have a look at it, thanks!

RdJ
EHDR, EHGG, Netherlands

Why not have a look at SDVFR and Airmate while you are at it.
You can file flight plans with Airmate as well I believe.

France
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message