Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LOWS to LOWZ, GAFOR routes, to do or not to do ?

Hey everyone,

I am considering a flight from Prague, Czech Republic, to Austria. I want to visit LOWZ and LOWI (already visited LOWS before due to the high landing fees). I will be flying a C152, and I am not a very experienced pilot (got my license in 2022, with 100 hours logged).

I’m seeking advice on whether it’s okay to fly from LOWS to LOWZ via Gafor 60 and 21 (or maybe it’s better to use 56?), and how difficult it might be. Additionally, what ceiling altitude is suitable for this journey? I have no experience with mountain flying, and I want to avoid finding myself trapped in a narrow valley.

Also, after LOWZ I want to continue to LOWI via Gafor 55.

So, Is LOWS to LOWZ is a safe trip for a young pilot?
or maybe its better to start with LOWI ? (the valley is much wider and looks much easier)

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!

Last Edited by Mher_Tolpin at 06 Apr 19:46
LKLT, Israel

Of course it‘s a „do“. We all need to start sometime, somehow. So pick a day with good weather (good vis, no cloud, little wind) and do it.

Route 56 has a relatively low reference alitude and would be my choice.

At LOWS, if runway 08 is in use, just be prepared to fly the entry into the downwind very close to the mountain. Lot of youtube videos show this. You can also use google earth or a dedicated flightsim to brief on that.

From LOWZ to LOWI via St. Johann and the Wilder Kaiser mountain is beautiful.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great, thanks Boscomantico!
I took a second look on the charts, and I see that the from LOWI to LOWZ via Wilder Kaiser mountain is much wider then via Salzburg and the mountains are much lower,
So I am thinking to fly the LOWI first and from there to LOWZ and back the same route.

Wdyt?

LKLT, Israel

Fun route to fly.
Just be aware that with E/NE winds, there can be significant downdrafts at the Gerlos-Pass.
I had to go to full throttle & Vy (TB20, 3 pob), when starting my climb at a “normal” distance, i.e. too late on that day.

EDM_, Germany
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message