Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice please on route to Mimizan / a free CPL/IR in France

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Be aware that in the holiday season the population goes from about 5000 people to 120000 people.

Thank you, reason is to visit my son who will be surfing there and I just couldnt stand the strain of Biarritz especially with N reg.
I used to go to Biscarrosse a lot but they were very edgy, especially the flying school.
I will clear customs at Dinard or Deauville.

but they were very edgy

Can you elaborate a bit? I know the place is a bit particular (and that the airfield is in fact PPR for visitors) and the school probably regard it as “their” aerodrome (during the week), but ultimately, it is “ouvert à la CAP”, so I wouldn’t worry too much, and probably not be put off from going there…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Aug 14:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit?

You are right the flying school do think of it as ’’their’’ aerodrome during the week and sometimes at weekends, if you dare park (at any time) on ’’their’’ massive tarmac apron
(of which they only use a fraction) you will get a right b**locking and are told, in no uncertain terms, to immediately park elsewhere on a tiny patch of rough grass.

For the smallest reason ever you are likely to get involved in an argument with one of the obnoxious flying instructors who will also think nothing of buzzing you (like 20ft) if you are still on the runway as (in their opinion) you did not get out of their way fast enough.

I bought a plot of land on the airpark there and I kept it for just as long as it took to sell it, luckily in a period of rising prices and a bouyant market.

Its a good airfield entirely ruined (in my opinion) by the flying school who appear to resent any visitors using the airfield.

Please dont let me put you off, if you go there form your own opinion and let us know what you think of it.

The flying school in question is the French national aeronautical school (ENAC). I know one of the instructors there personally and couldn’t ever imagine her behaving as mentioned! Many people from our club regularly drop in for a coffee with no issued.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

The flying school in question is the French national aeronautical school (ENAC)

While I have no experience with the place in question, as a general rule, any French school that has an acronym starting with EN (i.e. École Nationale) tends to see itself amongst the immortals and gods.

any French school that has an acronym starting with EN (i.e. École Nationale) tends to see itself amongst the immortals and gods.

Perhaps, but I can’t think of any other country where the state will let you get a CPL IR ME for free! The ENAC really does give young people from modest backgrounds the chance to follow their dream without the huge debts many young pilots run up in the UK and elsewhere.

However, other “EN” institutions are very elitist:

ENA (Ecole Nationale de l’Administration) = Political Elite
ENM (Ecole Nationale de la Magistrature…which coincidentally is in nearby Bordeaux) = Magistrates – who start sentencing people at the age of 25 without ever having lived a day outside academia.

… and I could go on.

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

Perhaps, but I can’t think of any other country where the state will let you get a CPL IR ME for free!

Sweden does. Or at least you get an MPL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I can’t think of any other country where the state will let you get a CPL IR ME for free

Is it totally free, including the flying time?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes totally free. They admit about 20 students per year. ENAC also trains all french controllers.

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

Yes totally free.

Ok, then it’s a bit better than in Sweden. The Swedish students have to pay for the medical, the written exams for the license and the checkride since only the training is free and those are not properly training. They also have to pay for the textbooks.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message