Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice please on route to Mimizan / a free CPL/IR in France

They admit about 20 students per year.

Ok, so it is not really applicable, because I am sure France trains more than 20 CPL/IRs a year.

It is like saying you can get a PPL for free in the UK, which is true – there are scholarships for women, the disabled, and I believe some other schemes which come up from time to time. A very small number; maybe 20 a year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have no experience with this but my (French) instructor used to say about the ENAC (and the air France pilots) that they are so peculiar because they are convinced they taught the birds how to fly :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

ENAC also trains all french controllers

I did my flying module at Biscarosse.

We flew the TB20’s IFR with state of the art avionics in 2012.

The instructors I met there were far from thinking they taught the birds how to fly…

Last Edited by Guillaume at 15 Aug 15:17

Yes, towards a “compatriote” AND a designated student. That would twice override the default “imbécile” …

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I think I must just be incredible lucky to have met only polite and courteous people throughout my aviation “career” in France….

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

I think I must just be incredible lucky to have met only polite and courteous people throughout my aviation “career” in France….

All jokes aside, I have mostly met some very nice people in French aviation too, many who I now call friends.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

It’s NOT free. It’s just paid by other people than the students.

Paris, France

Piotr_Szut wrote:

It’s just paid by other people than the students.

About 80% of the money comes from en-route and terminal charges.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 16 Aug 18:48

With 20 people a year getting this scholarship, it’s not a big thing, is it? How many CPL/IRs train in France each year? Also, from the POV of the state-owned institution doing it, the cost to them is just the marginal cost, which is nil for the classroom, almost nil for a sim (just the money paid to the IRI), and just the DOC for the aircraft. It will be only a fraction of the money paid to the typical ATPL FTO by an ab initio customer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also, from the POV of the state-owned institution doing it, the cost to them is just the marginal cost, which is nil for the classroom, almost nil for a sim (just the money paid to the IRI), and just the DOC for the aircraft.

You mean that there are no fixed costs in a state-owned institution??

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message