Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Abbeville and Charleville-Mezieres

@silvaire: that is good news, and perhaps a reason to visit once more.
I was there in 2010, some of my memories are at https://imgur.com/a/l00dZ , sad sights to a plane lover’s eyes…

And, to remain a bit on topic, wouldn’t Troyes-Barberey be a good answer to the original question, too?

Last Edited by at 06 May 22:15
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@Jan, disregard my earlier comment, I was thinking of the Kbely museum near Prague. My brain faded momentarily

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 May 23:30

Abbeville is a good one if it suits your route (and you don’t need IAPs, as it’s VFR only).

Customs are definitely still in place – I was there a few weeks ago. Friendly field, very modest landing fee (I think €3) plus restaurant and reasonably priced Avgas. There is even a hotel at the airfield if you wanted to stay overnight.

You didn’t mention what aircraft you’re flying, but if it’s a Permit to Fly type then going via France avoids the Belgian fee for flying through their airspace (around €80 for an annual permission).

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Hello TJ.

Is Abbeville still good for English speaking pilots? I flew in as passenger many years ago and it seemed ok. Abbeville would suit Mavis perfectly as a place to clear customs but embarrassingly I don’t speak French.

I have Middelburg-Midden-Zeeland as a customs field in Holland and I just need to find a suitable grass field for Belgium and then Mavis is sorted for cross pond flying.

Thank you.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Bloomer, what are your requirements for an EBxx aerodrome? Grass runway, you say, ok plenty of those but none have customs.
BTW if you are planning to stop in BE anyway, I can’t see the need for a customs a/d in Holland, or you should like circuitous routing…
May one ask your full routing or intentions?

BTW do not be put off by the Belgian “overflight fee” TJ mentioned – it was not meant for the likes of you or your plane.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@ Bloomer

Yes, Abbeville is fine for English speaking (or non French speaking) pilots. It is a favourite first stop in France for UK microlight pilots – commonly many G reg to be seen there on any decent weather day in the summer months. Many of these pilots tend to avoid airfields with full ATC as they are not confident with radio or controlled field procedures. So they often don’t use Calais or Le Touquet.

About the Belgian fee for Permit to Fly aircraft, I entirely accept Jan’s point that it was not intended by the Belgian authorites to affect planes such as yours. However, AIUI, it is still in the Belgian rules. So any ramp inspector is entirely within his rights to ask for it. I think this illustrates a peculiarity that UK pilots have. Because of our unusual legal system (at least from a continental european perspective), we expect to be able to depend absolutely on a piece of law (not have the scope of its application dependent on the attitude of an individual official). You see essentially the same point in other threads, such as using oddities of VAT law to advantage. We simply don’t have (or haven’t until very recently, via EU law) a concept of ‘abuse of laws’ that involves finding a way to use them in a way the drafting authorities didn’t intend.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Thank you to both Jan and TJ for your feedback. I keep forgetting Mavis is on permit. My first experience at “permit” flying. Maybe I should just stick with Shrek until she is sold for cross pond flying.

My main requirement is grass plus customs, even if one needs to give customs notice. The grass requirement will fall away once I am brave enough to venture onto tar/concrete with the Old Girl. Not really sure why I am being as cautious as I am since I fly off and land on tar in the Cub with no issues and have been doing so for a long time.

Again, thank you both. Useful feed back.

Last Edited by Bloomer at 12 May 13:06
Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

I had landed at Siegerland (EDGS) few times but years ago – so no idea of the service/menu right now. Quick look at the QuickPlan6 is showing 381 and 375 NM leg, so it´s really mid point for you. Other airport (if you clear customer earlier) might be Straubing /EDMS/ or Egenfelden (EDME) but they are a bit south of your prefered DCT track.
Antwerpen EBAW used to be GA friendly as well.
Make sure you have PPR from airport authority ([email protected]) for the arrival as it not public airport anymore and watch the operation hours . When are you planning to be there ? I might be around…

LKKU, LKTB
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message