Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corsica, Sardinia, Tuscany and Slovenia

Great report, thx for sharing.

EDAZ

@bosco – it is on its way. Work has delayed it. As to when do I meet again, soon I hope. Now I have a CPL I can charge you!! You can offset against your charge for teaching me last time!! :)

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Sep 23:12
EGTK Oxford

@Jason,

thanks. But where’s your trip report?
When do you meet again?

@172,

good catch. Here’s a snipped from the original photo:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Sep 17:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
@172,

are you sure? I can’t see it. Can you point me to where exactly it can be seen?

Yep. Look at the first Genoa pic, the one with the airport. At approx the 1 o’clock position off the rwy end, you see her in the corner of the the two breakwaters / piers. Still got the floatation devices attached.

Great trip report. Bosco I look forward to reading your trip reports more than any other person on the web. You have a knack for combining personal and factual really well

EGTK Oxford

@Stick,

to be precise, I-TRIP has not yet been “officially” written off. It’s in the hangar and the owner showed it to me. The owner still has some hopes that it will fly again, but honestly, I don’t think so. The wing spars are cracked. The owner says he will require help. both in terms of parts and craftsmanship. Moreover, this requires an engineering, a project, to come up with a solution that’s acceptable to the italian CAA (it’s a certified aircraft after all). I think it won’t fly again.

@Robert,

yes, having flown the Cirrus for fourteen years now, I think it’s safe to say I’m convinced of it. But marketing? Nah. I’ll let other people do that. To the contrary, I know quite well which are the weak points of the aircaft (and I name them when somebody asks me).

@blueline,

yes, I know. My second home is Lake Garda in Northern Italy and the waether has been very poor this summer. On the other hand, it’s been fantastic in Northern Germany, Scandinavia and especially in the Baltic region (see the report of my flight to Palanga).

However, we weren’t really “lucky” with the weather here. Remember this flight was originally planned to go to southwest England. This had to be scrapped. The weather however looked very good for Central Italy and that’s when we decided to go there. So it was more about watching the weather and changing plans accordingly.

@Neil,

thanks!

@172,

are you sure? I can’t see it. Can you point me to where exactly it can be seen?

@lenthamen,

not only is my father aviation-minded. We share it all, the flying hours as PIC, the costs and the passion. It really is a great “setup” and I am very grateful.
My dad taught me the basics of flying when I was a small kid. He has lots of experience. So far, he also has more hours than me, but I’m slowly catching up.
Here’s an old photo (sorry – really poor quality) of me making my first steps in the 150:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Sep 18:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very nice trip report.
I have never crossed the Alps.
The crossing of the Alps at FL140 with 2000 feet spacing to the mountain tops – any risk of down draft, mountain waves etc. at that height?

Last Edited by pmh at 07 Sep 18:27
pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Just took a closer look at the picture of the Cardinal. It lives in the hangar directly opposite of mine in LOAN.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Great trip! Btw the ‘Concordia’ is right there in one of your pics of Genoa, waiting to be scrapped.

As for food in Italy – I have yet to meet an Italian (no formal training required!) – who cannot rustle up some fab dishes. And yes, I lived there for a while…

Excellent trip report!
Must be awesome to have an aviation minded father and make trips together :-)
Interesting to read how you mix IFR and VFR to get the max out of GA flying.
Do you carry the VFR maps, or are you just using Skydemon?

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message