Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EGSL to LELL, if you have time to spare travel by air

Peter recall that a SC is happiest low level, and at around a mile and a half a minute map reading is not too onerous.

I have always flown in France on airways, so this will definitely be a new experience.

Jan the cub is no acme in the streamlining department, although the SC has the enclosed cowling, and the bungee chords on the undercarriage are streamlined. With a jack screw variable incidence tail plane it in theory has less trim drag, just like a Gulfstream!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

It is nice to see a post about some back to basics flying from someone who is not drooling about the latest in glass panels,autopilots,de-icing etc. I think I would draw the line at leaving my GPS at home. I look forward to your trip write up.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

I think I would draw the line at leaving my GPS at home.

Yeah… Given the price of these devices nowadays, why would one want not to benefit from the added safety and peace of mind the GPS provides? Especially in an airplane that has no other means of navigation than a compass and a clock.

LFPT, LFPN

Is your aircraft an EASA type or Annex II permit to fly? If the latter, what did you have to do to get permission to take it to Spain? (Which I think is one of the few remaining European countries that requires it)

Andreas IOM

Alioth mine has a CofA so should be accepted in all ICAO countries – not a permit a/c – probably costs me £1k pa in paperwork and extra maintenance cost, not extra maintenance.

(Which I think is one of the few remaining European countries that requires it)

Not according to this

Spain just happens to be the one who rarely replies, it seems.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have a great trip! Give us a wing waggle as you pass Chauvigny, G-BPUL says hello, and can she have your cruise prop please!

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW

Enjoy, Robert! Sounds like a great adventure :-)

Give us a wing waggle as you pass Chauvigny,

Piper Classique I am trying to re arrange my ETD on Thursday – I think Limoges may be too far for a late morning departure from Stapleford. Is LFOT Tours val de Loire an efficient customs airport? Chauvigny would then be a good overnight stop – it would be good to get a photo of the two SCs.

Thank you Peter for your .ppt on VFR flying in France, what a great resource.

Open to suggestions for best customs entry airport which is not more than 200nm from Lydd enroute to the Loire?

The SC flew to Full Sutton and back earlier in the week – reasonable headwind (20 knots) on the return journey, but the trip confirms my view that 75 knot TAS is a solid block speed (2250 RPM).

Edited for auto spell reasons!

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 12 Apr 07:30

Don’t know a lot about Tours, sorry, but from your email you seem to be sorted.
We’ll find you somewhere to stay, anyway.

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW
Sign in to add your message