Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up Lesbos Greece 30 May to 6 June 2015

Justine and I will be there (by airline, unfortunately) and it would be great to meet again the old gang of locals, plus anyone who dares to make the trip

LGMT has customs but no avgas (only avtur) but you can get both at Samos LGSM just down the road.

Anyone up for it, please email me with convenient dates and we will work the places to stay around that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I planned to fly to Split, Corfu, Milos and Crete in that time span … but have not decided yet. Wife and Kids will be on Crete by Airline and thought about visiting for two or three days …

Will keep you informed. LGIR handling already told me they want the precise ETA one week before :-) It will be precise, by Greek standards anyway :-)

Anybody want to come along?

I could pop up – I just have to check my work schedule and bank holidays.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just to add, at LGMT we also have MOGAS at the local airclub (Mytilene Airclub).

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Problem for Milos and Lesbos is avgas.Does anybody have flight plan incl. airport with avgas?Or some interesting Web page about that?!

LDZA, Croatia

See a lot of trip writeups here

The “classic” route from other parts of Europe is Corfu/Kerkira LGKR which has customs and avgas. It’s nice, with the only drawback that it is about the only place in Greece where you get crap food

From LGKR, in a plane with decent range (not a C152) you can go anywhere on Greece.

Then you may need to plan a refuel point to get back to LGKR. Airports with avgas are

Megara (near Athens) – no customs so cannot enter/leave Greece via it
Samos LGSM
Iraklion LGIR / Crete
Sitia LGST / Crete
Rhodes
Athens itself LGAV (c. €200)

All the airports that do holiday flights have customs and avtur, but most of them don’t have avgas.

A plane with a decent range (TB20, SR22, Mooneys, etc) is the best way and then in most cases one doesn’t need to plan a trip any differently due to the avgas issue.

The other way of entering/leaving Greece is via Macedonia (Skopje) or Serbia (Belgrade LYBE – extremely cheap avgas). Typically one would then use Samos as the entry/exit airport. A TB20 can even do Zagreb direct from Samos, though headwinds can make it tight

On the way to Greece from most of Europe, the Croatian airports are excellent stopover places which are great to hang out in by themselves:

Pula LDPL
Rijeka ?
Losinj LDLO
Split LDLP
Brac LDSB
Dubrovnik LDDU

All with customs and avgas!

If I was going to Milos from Zagreb LDZA I would probably do Zagreb Belgrade Samos Milos and then back the same way. A TB20 could do Zagreb Samos Milos Samos Belgrade.

For Lesbos, similar and again using Samos for a fuel stop. Or Zagreb Skopje Lesbos Skopje Zagreb.

Administrator

I am also planing Milos (and next Kefalonia) but some latter, from 06.07. Avgas is fortunatelly not an issue (DA42). Could someone please advice if flying IFR from Schengen country to the field like Milos one needs to use any of Greek’s airport of entry prior landing there?

EP..

Greece is in Schengen but does not operate it (unless you enter Greece by walking or swimming) so only Ports of Entry airports can be used to enter or exit Greece.

Most of the “holiday” islands have Customs i.e. are ports of entry.

For detailed stuff see here – there is a table of airports further down in there.

Administrator

Think you Peter. This is quite odd IMHO, I hoped that for IFR flight from the controlled Schengen airport one could fly Greece without “help” of this airports of entry… But well, looks EU, with all it’s lovely exceptions…

EP..

What would flight rules have to do with immigration??

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message