Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are some airports intentionally pricing out light GA?

Flyer59 wrote:

I bet it’s cheaper to operate than a 210.

Ok my plane costs about 350 Euros to operate all inclusive. Includes Hangarage insurance for 70hrs/yr. No loans If I were to fly more it would be cheaper but the fuel since its a large part of the operating cost the savings wont be to significant.

Biggest savings on a 210 over a Cirrus is not having a chute.

KHTO, LHTL

Flyer59 wrote:

Flyer59 20-Nov-15 10:04
If I visit a country I do not judge the whole country by how some bureaucrats at the airport behave.

If THAT was the criteria I would certainly never go to the USA again, .

Well thats hitting below the belt!! Our TSA officials are well trained to only hassle airline passengers. If you were to go by GA your welcoming arrival would be a totally different experience.

Flyer59 wrote:

Flyer59 20-Nov-15 10:04
If I visit a country I do not judge the whole country by how some bureaucrats at the airport behave.

The unfriendliness I have experienced from TSA officials and Airline staff in the USA is beyond imagination.

Have you tried Lufthansa? I have good experiences with them. However the best have been with AA since I was upgraded to business on occasion and even first class once from business.

If corruption and bureaucracy put me off that much I could never have a company in CZ, never go to Greece or Italy … or many other countries. Defiitely not tu Hungary, for other reasons too.

What is wrong with Hungary? The food is great the service friendly. The streets are safe and the place is cheap. Whats not to like?

By the way only having been to Corfu Greece I would not complain about the service there, including the bureaucracy.

But I do not judge the whole country by that.

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 20 Nov 10:58
KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

If you were to go by GA your welcoming arrival would be a totally different experience.

Like this?

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 20 Nov 11:01

If you were to go by GA your welcoming arrival would be a totally different experience.

Haha. I remember when I flew back from the Bahamas to Fort Pierce and they let me sit in the plane for 45 minutes, and you are not allowed to leave the plane until the customs officer shows up …

Any, anyway, what does it matter if I’m a GA pilot or an Airline Passenger?

(but that was irony, right? ;-))

Ok my plane costs about 350 Euros

Very much the same. Less if i wouldn’t calculate all the expensive investments i made (and which were only “necessary” becasue I wanted them :-))

GA you get greeted in the plane. They come to you. Now in what other country does that happen?

LOL By the way that is a classic training film we use for drug interdiction.

KHTO, LHTL

;-)
Yeah, i looked very much like a drug smuggler, with my pregnant wife on the copilot seat. …

(((That was in early 2002, and of course they were pretty nervous. When I rented the Warrior in St. Augstine the owner advised me 3 times not to bust the Kennedy Space Center airspace. There was an F-16 circling above the Space Center 24 h a day at that time, and I made sure I stayed on the “right side of the highway” flying south …)))

I had a 4 hr flight and ended up in Whiteplains KHPN from Canada Nova Scotia. One of my passengers had given me a pee alert request an hour out. After landing was told to wait in the plane. It took about 10 mins for them to come out. In the meantime my passenger was starting fidget to the point of tearing. So I told him to pee out the door but not to hit the plane. Satisfied after his relief we closed the door again. The line guys faces showed that they were totally disgusted. All that changed when Customs and Imm showed up and stood in the puddle. The line guys seeing what happened were cracking up. Which made the situation all the worse when the Customs guys realized what happened. There were two of them. I thought they were going to impound my plane they were so “pissed”. We were told to go into the building which we did after getting out the copilots side door.

KHTO, LHTL

Are some airports intentionally pricing out light GA?

Definitly.

Pricing out is one of several strategies airports employ to keep light GA away. Usual elements are high landing fees and where they can’t get those approved by the regulators, compulsory handling.

And if that is not enough, PPR for arrival and depature combined with possible PPR for parking will do the rest.

The list is long and it gets longer. Quite a few airport operators will shy away from not much to get rid of us, no matter if it is just an irrational hatred or real reasons, the latter of which I’d like to see proven at some stage. I regularly fail to see the need for this kind of treatment if I end up at such airports and find empty runways and am the only one within the next half hour to take off and land, but had to get a slot and pay handsomely for the privilege of using the place.

I reckon the only way around this kind of think would be either sufficient suitable secondary airports for GA or the regulators putting their collective feet down and stop these jokers. To an extent this has happened repeatedly here in Switzerland for starters, where the FOCA did not play ball with some balant attempts at pricing out small GA, some more successful than others. Unfortunately this seems only to slow them down, not to get the problem solved.

The main problem I see in this is that the airports concerned are very often the only ones with a proper infrastructure such as IFR, Night, airport of entry and so on, with the alternates lacking most of this or being far away. Quite some cities have become GA deserts as a consequence and more will follow.

I do hope that the mounting availability of LPV approaches and the comparatively lower cost of implementing those might give some incentives in the future to make more 2ndary airports available as viable alternatives to those airports which will sooner or later be lost to GA as frankly I have lost hope that the people in charge of those facilities can be hindered at locking out small GA from their fields altogether.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

ATTENTION: Thread drift ahead !

Flyer59 wrote:

I bet it’s cheaper to operate than a 210. Except the expensive data subscriptions, but the rest ist more simple than a 210.

How much ya wanna bet ?

To start, the CAPS sets you back @ 1500€/ year and that’s not optional.

Then, despite the Cirrus having fixed gear, the NG was so poorly designed ( revised 4 times to date ?) that is requires as much €€€ to maintain properly as a retract !

Next comes the Avidyn EFIS/Avionics fit …

IMHO, if you took a perfectly maintained, “like new” 210 then compared ongoing maintenance over a 10 year period to an early SR22, the 210 would be significantly less overall.

PS: A P 210 is a different story.

Last Edited by Michael at 21 Nov 07:54
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message