Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biggin Hill EGKB now permanently PPR / general PPR discussion

Peter, what do you know about airport regulation in say France or Germany? I guess nothing

Where did I claim special knowledge of airport regulation in France or Germany? No need to get aggressive when I made no such claim.

I have popped over there once or twice, that’s all…

it’s the UK which is weird in this regard.

Why can’t you land at CDG or Orly?

It’s not black and white.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

CDG and ORLY are impossible, Hamburg is easy, Düsseldorf (afaik) too. But we were not discussing international airports.

All german public airports are non-PPR, and only some of the “special airfields” are PPR. In 22 years i have not called a small airfield in Germany or Austria, i only checked the opening hours, and sometimes i did that by phone.

Flyer59 wrote:

All german public airports are non-PPR,

But some need slots, which is a form of PPR, and it is rigorously enforced. We get nasty sounding AFTN messages every time someone files to/from Stuttgart without a slot.

LSZK, Switzerland

Stuttgart is not what we classify a “public airport” (Vekehrslandeplatz) but an international airport. There’s no slots for the smaller public airports.

But we were not discussing international airports.

So, we are not discussing all of the ones here which support flights to/from outside Germany?

That doesn’t make sense.

Does anyone have any info on Biggin’s reasons?

Can someone start a new thread please if they have concrete info on German and French airports with PPR? It would be a useful resource.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does anyone have any info on Biggin’s reasons?

I posted the official statement above. If their real reasons are different, they sure won’t disclose these.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Jan 17:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Many of the Public Airports have customs and coming from a non-Schengen country you might have to let them know you need customs. You file a FP to Straubing or Landshut (EDML) and you call them with your ETA and there will (maybe) be a police car to check your passport … or maybe not. But no PPR.

Some of the BIG airports require slots, like Stuttgart, but some not, all in the AIP.

When i wrote “International Airports” i meant BIG Internatiol Airports, not public airports with customs.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 02 Jan 17:35

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

Some consider an airport or an airfield as something similar as a highway or a road.

I certainly do! Unless I have good reason – e.g. very unusual ops – I never call ahead. What the heck for? I don’t call the local Parks Service if I want to go hiking or the Highway Patrol if I want to drive along the coast. IME this whole PPR nonsense is largely a UK-only issue.

Can someone start a new thread please if they have concrete info on German and French airports with PPR? It would be a useful resource.

I think that doesn’t deserve a thread for itself as it is quite simple. Look at their AIPs and see that the majority of their major airfields (like Biggin) have no PPR thing whatsoever. That invariably means that these airports have no discretion whatsoever about who to allow to use the airport or not – it’s as easy as adding 1 plus 1. Scandinavia, Poland, etc. are all the same.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It must be admitted that Belgium has only five public aerodromes, all others are private and, AFAIK, all are PPR (with a possible exception for some ulmodromes in the deep South). Not that there’s any problem with that. As has been stated again and again, it’s just a matter of what one is used to.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message