Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bad Waldsee, Germany

Today I did a quick trip to a Germany airfield without ICAO code. Thanks to @achimha I was able to enter it as ED14 into autorouter and fly IFR to a local grass strip of 660m runway length.

In the area the MRVA is 6000 ft but I was lucky enough to spot the ground and dive under the cloud as VFR. Landing the SR22 on grass is indeed quite a bit bumpy but not that much bumpier than doing the same in a C172. I can remember that although it was my first grass landing in a very long time. One gets used to the smooth touchdown on asphalt.

Takeoff roll was almost 500m due to the fact that the grass was a bit wet and I was heavy with two PAX and a good amount of fuel.

On the other hand that flight can serve as the perfect example for the utility value GA can provide. We departed from Hannover EDDV and were at the destination after 1:45 flight and a 10 minute car ride. Using other means of transport it would probably have taken about 7 hours.

The nearest IFR airport is either Friedrichshafen or Memmingen. From any of the two the car ride is about 45 minutes.

Frequent travels around Europe

Can you elaborate on what on can do there?

LSZK, Switzerland

It was a business trip to a company in town. My motivation was to tell about ED14 in autorouter and the utility value of GA. Plus the experience of grass landings in the IFR asphalt runway airplane :-)

Frequent travels around Europe
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message