Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing on Ultralight airfields

I am planning a trip to Slovakiaring next week and the nearest airfield I found is Dunajska Streda, 650m grass. I emailed them, asking if they’re open. In response I got:

“You must know, this airlield is only category UL, ( lietajúce športové zariadenia)”.

Am I legally forbidden from landing there or I can do it at own responsibility if owner accepts?

LPFR, Poland

As far as I can see, this is a “private” field, meaning they have no obligation to accept you. So the only thing legally binding is the owner/operator consent.
They may have their reasons for refusing: perhaps their operational permit is for ultralights only, or perhaps they only have insurance for this category. Perhaps they would need more firefighting equipment if allowing larger planes. There may be many reasons. I certainly would not fly there without the operator’s formal consent, the more so that they seem to have no radio frequency.

If you are worried about the legal aspect, you could consider flying till near, then declare an emergency – but the aerodrome operator is unlikely to be pleased with that, and might well make life difficult and/or expensive before letting you depart. It might indeed make life difficult for them, too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

So I understand it’s basically up to the owner. I asked a follow up question, but no reply yet and no phone contact. Will try some more and if not, I’ll go to Bratislava.

LPFR, Poland

years ago the landing on non-certified airport (and this is what UL fields are) was prohibited. it had changed few years ago in the Czech Republic. Let me try my contacts if someone know if such a change was implemented in slovakia as well.

LKKU, LKTB

Certainly France is full of UL only airfields…I have never explored the legal basis for this restriction, but I assume there is one…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

That sounds like a big contrast, from a grass ULM-only runway to an international airport… Perhaps you wish to consider some smaller fields in the vicinity?

• Malý Madaras
  • Kralova pri Senci (LZKS)
Last Edited by at 20 May 11:23
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Your option is Bratislava LZIB, or Kralova pri Senci LZKS
Other airports are not very well maintained, I do not recommend to land on any of them.

loco wrote:

Am I legally forbidden from landing there or I can do it at own responsibility if owner accepts?

In Hungary we have category 6 airfield, which is only for ULs, paragliders etc. You would be legally forbidden to land there. A similar situation may exist in Slovakia.

I asked a follow up question, but no reply yet and no phone contact. Will try some more and if not, I’ll go to Bratislava.

I have 2 phone numbers from the CZ/SK VFR guide. Let me know if you need them.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

AnthonyQ wrote:

Certainly France is full of UL only airfields

I don’t know if here is a legal limitation, never checked because most of these have short enough runways that I would not even try to land there with anything else than a UL

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Landing in Bratislava, handling and parking for a few days is North of 100 € IIRC. I went there over New Year 2016 with a DA42. Handling is mandatory.

Edit: To be precise, the Bratislava airport bill was

• Landing Int’l arrival – 31,46 €
  • Parking 4 days – 51,12 €
  • Handling 0-4t – 45,60 €

Total of 128.18 € which I found reasonable for the airport and the service provided.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 20 May 17:36
LFPT, LFPN
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message